AOA110 8GB SSD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Colt45, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Colt45

Colt45

I haven't been here in a while.

I have an AOA-110 and have added RAM to 1.5 GB. I'm still running Linpus and would be happy if I could install software (and see the icons so I could easily play the games and not have to go hunting for them) and update Firefox since some sites no longer support FF2.0. I want to be able to change the appearance of the desktop (like I used to with an old Mandrake PC I built or with Windoze). I really don't want to put XP on it as I've been quite proud NOT to have M$ products on it and have it work so well. This is a browsing/e-mail machine, but I have used it often to write inspection reports for work since we converted to M$ Office 2007 at work.

There are lots of choices (Linux Mint?), but I really don't want to be a geek, anymore, I just want to install the OS and go to "work". I want to be able to update the applications once in a while. Sorry to seem lazy, but these days I just don't have the time to wrestle with an OS. Hell, now we have a consultant giving us a "Management Operating System" at work, what ever that means.

What do you recommend?

John

Colt45, Apr 10, 2011
  2. Colt45

jango

Lubuntu ;)

jango, Apr 10, 2011
  3. Colt45

RockDoctor

I run both Fedora and Ubuntu with LXDE on my AOA150. Reasonably lightweight and easy to keep reasonably up-to-date. Possible downside is reasonably short lifetimes (~ 13 months for Fedora, 18 months for non-LTS Ubuntu)

RockDoctor, Apr 19, 2011
  4. Colt45

Colt45

Thanks all! I've downloaded the iso and will install it today! :D

Colt45, May 4, 2011
Ask a Question