AOA110 2gb Ram Upgrades for sale-not s'posed to be possible!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by realbigmike, Jun 12, 2009.

1. realbigmike

realbigmike

A quick google search shows online retailers selling a 2gb ram stick, which users here say is impossible.
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...2CA322&q=AOA110+2gb+upgrade&btnG=Search&meta=

There is an ebay seller who sells 2gb sticks and specifically says it is compatible:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/2GB-Memory-Ram-A...66:2|39:1|72:1215|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

The AOA110 aa1 chipset supports upto 2gb ram and there is 512mb soldered on, so what would happen with this spendy chip? Maybe just 2gb shows in bios but still it would be a nice upgrade.

realbigmike, Jun 12, 2009
  2. realbigmike

DutchDK

Dead Horse!!!!

The chipset used in the AAO 110 supports a maximum of 2 GB ram. Since there are 512 MB ram soldered on the motherboard, and no way to disable it, the maximum ram that can be installed is 1.5 GB, by adding a 1 GB SO-DIMM 533 Mhz DDR2 memory module to the RAM slot.

The only way you could use a 2 GB memory module, is by desoldering the 512 MB ram mounted on the motherboard. If you want to do that, by all means proceed. Just don't whine if you suddenly are the owner of a nice clamshell designed door-stop ;).

DutchDK, Jun 12, 2009
  3. realbigmike

realbigmike

I would desolder 1 chip to get an extra 512mb. All u need is a hair dryer, if you dont have a heat gun. What I do for such extractions is put foil around the chip I am removing and then lift it off with tweezers when the solder is melted. Taking chips off is easy, it is putting them on that is hard. There is a product to make it easier called Chip Quick which lowers the melting point. If it would really work as you said, dont you think someone would have tried it by now?

realbigmike, Jun 13, 2009
  4. realbigmike

DutchDK

You have to desolder 4 chips, since the onboard RAM is made up of 4 chips : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/276 ... 718788110/ . And there is no guarantee that the AAO will accept the 2 GB SO-DIMM afterwards, since you don't know if there is logic implemented on the motherboard, that expects the onboard RAM to be there.

But the real subject is how the ebay sellers you quote, can say it is compatible with the AAO, since just plugging in the 2 GB modules they are selling, just won't work. The AAO won't even boot up, with a 2 GB module installed.

DutchDK, Jun 13, 2009
  5. realbigmike

realbigmike

I emailed the seller yesterday and he didnt reply. If you click the google link I posted then the 1st link, it takes you to a store that claims 2gb AAO compatibility as well. I hope someone is brave enough to try desoldering since they may need to resolder after.

Since the chipset does support 2gb I am guessing the slot can handle a 2gb chip but I dont know how the bios would react with the onboard ram removed. I read in other forums that other netbooks with the same hardware released a bios update that let u bypass the onboard ram so you can use the slot for a 2gb chip. If it really is the same hardware maybe we can just flash with that bios (maybe it would need its header changed inside the bin file for the AAO to swallow it).

Anyone have some ideas/infos?

realbigmike, Jun 13, 2009
  6. realbigmike

jackluo923

2nd link is referring to AOD 150 not AOA110.

jackluo923, Jun 14, 2009
  7. realbigmike

realbigmike

jackluo923, the second link lists the AOA110 as well, use Ctrl-F on the page to find it.

realbigmike, Jun 15, 2009
  8. realbigmike

Tamrac

They're resellers.... they don't have a clue about compatibility. They A110 can only handle 1.5Gb. There's an ensanely large thread about that already here. And for all practical purposes, it's NOT possible to use a 2Gb stick. Want 2Gb? Buy another netbook, there are lots that supports the full 2Gb. Saves all the headaches and most likely a nice bricked AAO.

Tamrac, Jun 15, 2009
Ask a Question