AOA-150 Upgrade to win7 using laplink

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jerryrs, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jerryrs

jerryrs

Hi, I was considering upgrading my current Aspire One AOA-150 which is currently running xp home premium to windows 7. I was hoping to use Laplink special pcmover software that is supposed to allow you to migrate successfully from xp to win7 without having to reinstall everything. So my questions are 1) Does anyone have any experience trying this? 2) I have the official win7 dvd to install from. Do I still need to worry about win7 not finding all the correct drivers and my wi-fi not working or has that all been resolved in the final version? Thanks!

jerryrs, Oct 26, 2009
  2. jerryrs

Bloodstar

I haven't tried using laplink, but I can vouch that 7 will find and work right off with most, if not all of your hardware just fine.

You may want the Synaptics software, however, if you're like me and Tap-to-click is more of an inconvenience...

Bloodstar, Oct 27, 2009
  3. jerryrs

jerryrs

Thanks Bloodstar. Can anyone confirm whether win7 runs better on the netbook than XP? Meaning any noticeable improvement. My xp already loads up pretty quick. :D

jerryrs, Nov 1, 2009
  4. jerryrs

Drjones

I had inquired about similar software a while ago, and the basic response was that it isn't really possible because software gets itself into the registry and other places, it isn't really possible to do what you are asking.

I could be wrong, of course, but a clean install is always best anyway.

As far as the performance, you shouldn't be disappointed. I haven't tried XP on my 751, but 7 boots up in probably 30 seconds or so. It is so blazing fast and I am so happy with it overall that I have no reason to even try XP.

Here's the handy tool from Microsoft that I used to install 7 onto my 751 using a USB memory stick: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Drjones, Nov 6, 2009
  5. jerryrs

SaintStewart

I can vouch for Win7 on the AAO ZG5. Works fine, fast even. I didn't have do do any driver installation except for the cardreaders. Everything else works out of the box.

SaintStewart, Nov 19, 2009
  6. jerryrs

Nambleruk

Win 7 on an AOA150?

Works for me, few tweaks to drop the graphics requirements and a search for drivers for the SSD card readers no problems.

Never tried XP on it because of the SATA disks.

This link was what I followed.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13460

Nambleruk, Dec 24, 2009
Ask a Question