AOA 150 Boot Issue

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tsmith1028, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tsmith1028

tsmith1028

Hello, I am new to the board and need some expert assistance.

I am having problems booting up my netbook, receiving the "NTLDR is missing" message. I tried to use the system recovery by hitting ALT and F10 and the system can not recover. I received the system and recovery disks from Acer and went through that process but it seems the system does not recognize the recovery disk. When I get to that point in the recovery process and am told to load the recovery disk, it tries to read it but kicks it back telling me the same message (Load backup disk 2 or the recovery disk). I received two separate shipments of disks directly from Acer with the same results.

Has anyone else resolved this situation on their own?

tsmith1028, Jul 26, 2011
  2. tsmith1028

something back

Give this site a try, it explains it better than I could

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

On boot-up, First press F2 and then in the motherboard (MAIN) SECTION scroll down and enable the F12 boot menu then exit and save.

Reboot again holding the F12 key and then choose your cd/dvd drive

Two sites listed on the internet with links to windows 7 recovery discs.

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-ce ... -disc.html

If all fails here is a vista/windows7 recovery disc download site

Warning: System recovery formats the hard drive.

http://recovery-discs.com/downloads/

something back, Jul 26, 2011
  3. tsmith1028

tsmith1028

Thanks for the response. I have been to the computerhope site and have tried everything I can try to no avail. The biggest issue is that I can not get Windows to load (by the way, I have XP, not Windows 7). The discs sent by Acer are the System Disc and the Recovery Disc, not the Windows disc. I checked with Microsoft and they will not support me since it was pre-loaded on the netbook. Acer wants more money to look at it and I'm not sure it is worth it so I may have to give up. Not sure if there is anything else I can try, anyone have any other suggestions?

tsmith1028, Jul 27, 2011
  4. tsmith1028

Swarvey Moderator

Here's some suggestions that just came to mind:

* If the external DVD-RW you're trying to use is USB-powered only, try an external drive that runs from AC.
    * Try and find an OEM Windows XP disk that matches the preinstalled version on your AAO then do the following:
    * Boot from the OEM Windows XP disk (not a recovery disk)
    * Use the reccovery console to run chkdsk /F /X /R
    * Read this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315233 for more information and a possible solution
    * If Windows doesn't load, try booting from the XP disk again, skip the first repair option, use the second repair option and see if the XP Disk can run a repair-install on your OS

By the sounds of it, your HDD (or SSD) could be failing. If a repair-install works, I'd suggest backing up your files before the HDD/SSD suffers complete failure. Otherwise, the NTLDR error has been known to occur on unpatched OS's that don't have the latest service pack, so if you get it running again, make sure you keep windows up to date.

Swarvey, Jul 27, 2011
  5. tsmith1028

tsmith1028

Finally fixed this issue!

The discs I got were dvd and I was using a CD reader so I had to get a device to read dvds. That still did not solve the problem but the messages were different, pointing to the hard drive. So I got a new hard drive and replaced the hard drive and loaded the dvds. As others have pointed out, it did take a few tries but the netbook is running like new now.

A few pointers about replacing the hard drive, watch the video on youtube because it is a great resource. I am a very visual learner and was able to accomplish the replacement in about 30 minutes because of watching the video beforehand.

Thanks to all that responded!!

tsmith1028, Sep 20, 2011
Ask a Question