AOA 110 powers off when trying to install ubuntu from usb

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thantos2024, Dec 17, 2010.

1. thantos2024

thantos2024

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me out, I have an AOA 110 SSD version that i've been trying to install ubuntu onto scine the xp install that i had on it died on me. I have created a bootable usb drive with the ubuntu live version on it, which boots up to the menu fine, but, as soon as I try to either install ubuntu, or even run it with out ubuntu, it will get to the splash screen then the netbook shuts down, with no error message seen.

I have tried so far with ubuntu 10.10, 10.4, 9.04 and 8.10 with pretty much the same results except for 8.1 which will start to go through install and the halts because it cant find a cdrom drive.

Any suggestions or ideas as to the cause and or a way to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

UPDATE:

running the install without the splash screen shows that the crash occurs when it registers the usb mass storage if that is off any help with this problem, it occures regardles of which version of linux i try to install

thantos2024, Dec 17, 2010
  2. thantos2024

ncc123

Re: AOA 110 powers off when trying to install ubuntu from us

This may not help, but it's easy to try. Make sure you have nothing plugged in to the laptop when you start the install other than the USB stick with the OS on it. Also, I had Ubuntu installed on my aoa-150 for a while (used an external cd drive to install, and it went on fine), can't remember whether I had to use the boot code "nomodeset" (without the "").

ncc123, Dec 20, 2010
  3. thantos2024

Darryl

I would hope you're trying to install the netbook remix version and not the full blown desktop jobby? Cos guess what....You might have a bit of grief trying to stick the big version on a ZG5.

Darryl, Dec 21, 2010
  4. thantos2024

thantos2024

ty for replys,

Yes am trying the netbook versions, have gone form 10.10 to 8.04 without success so far, always the same result, gets to splash screen then shuts down.

Have tried it with nomodeset, noacpi etc one after the other with no difference. Have even now borred an external cd-rom drive and got the same results. Thought that perhaps I was just unlucky and had bad images for each of the disks so re-downloaded and double checked MD5 matched, same happened. Thought I'd try reinstalling xp from disk instead and then install ubuntu that way, but that only got as far as rebooting to splash screen and then hung, which is when something occured to me.

Everywhere in these forums the AOA110 is said to have an 8gb SSD drive, yet windows states the mine has an 16gb card on board, which makes me wonder if something is causing the card to misreport its size and that is whats causing the problem. If this is the case does anyone know of a way to correct this.

thantos2024, Dec 23, 2010
  5. thantos2024

duablo

The same happens here. I run xp but I'm really done with it so I figured I'd make a dual boot system and build an Ubuntu OS.

So far I could try from a live stick Fedora and Lubuntu but I'd prefer an OS that offers me a simple way to make changes in system. I'm really unfamiliar with Linux, I had Linpus for a quite short while but I found it very instabil and simple. I was about try Ubuntu as a live os and install it from usb if I like it. I could start the install menu from the Ubuntu 9.04 install USB but I didn't run it since I was about trying the OS first (no dice) and had no backup of my system. The others like 9.04 Live, 9.10, 10.04 and 8.1 gave me the black screen and won't boot at all.

I have the 120G modell and I'm not sure it's even possible to make a working xp/ubuntu dual boot system but I'd appreciate any suggest, or even a link for a tested live iso to try.

PS: sorry for my english

duablo, Mar 15, 2011
  6. thantos2024

donec

In the past Ubuntu has caused me problems and due to that I have tried many different distros and the easiest to install and use is Linux Mint 10. I have it on my AAO ZG5 8 GB SSD and my AAO D150-1920 with hard drive. I don't believe that a dual boot on the SSD is possible but on the hard drive you have to make sure you install Windows first as it is a requirement of Windows to be the first OS on the boot drive. Then adding if Linux Mint it will create a grub boot recoed that will let you choose which OS you want to run at boot time.

donec, Mar 15, 2011
  7. thantos2024

duablo

I'm on the HDD model, plus I plan on upgrade the RAM too so I think it should be enough for both OS. Thank you for your reply, Mint sounds like it's worth a try.

duablo, Mar 15, 2011
  8. thantos2024

JimK

I just have the Linux version, so I can't verify this, but I believe the 110 with Windows has an 8GB SSD plus an 8GB SDHC, for a total of 16GB, which Windows is reporting.

Have you checked the left card reader for an SD card? Perhaps it's bad and you can try booting without it. Or perhaps the SSD has gone bad? Or maybe your RAM has gone bad -- have you tried running Memtest (it's a boot option on most Linux distros)?

JimK, Mar 15, 2011
Ask a Question