AO751h-52Bb RAM upgrade issue (UK)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by velcro, Mar 22, 2011.

1. velcro

velcro

Hi

I'm looking for some advice regarding my laptop. I've had my AO751h for just over a year. I've not made any modifications to it and I'm still running XP SP3 on it.

I decided to upgrade the RAM in it so went to the crucial website. Based on their RAM selection process I've purchased the 2Gb 200pin DDR2 SODIMM 256Mx64 PC2-5300 RAM that is titled to "upgrade for a Acer Aspire One (751h) System"

It seemed to be going well until after about an hour when the laptop froze and the screen started to show horizontal grey lines across the whole of the screen with the wallpaper faintly showing in the background. The mouse was frozen and I had no means of recovery. So I've killed it off.
    When I powered it back on there were no events I could spot via eventviewer. It only too about 5 minutes before the exact same thing as above happened.

I'm reluctant to persist with this much as I don't want to damage the hard disk by have to kill the power.

Just wondered if anyone has seen this issue and if i've missed something?

Thanks

vel :)

velcro, Mar 22, 2011
  2. velcro

Swarvey Moderator

I'd suggest removing the new RAM, clean the contacts with the light rub of a lead pencil eraser, then reinstalling it. Sounds like either faulty memory, or dirty contacts to me.

Swarvey, Mar 22, 2011
  3. velcro

Deliberatus

Dare I suggest his memory simply got hot? Could it have a thermal sensitivity defect? One test is a can of cold. Oh- sorry, showing my age; we used a spay can of chill to cool off parts in a suspicious TV back in the day. Find a likely culprit when the set goes blotto, spray it, part cools off, if this is the one, set comes on again.

Now where to get a can of spray chill??? :?:

Deliberatus, Jul 6, 2011
Ask a Question