AO751H-1948 -- Is it Dual Core Z520?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by larrymcg, Dec 10, 2009.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg

I just got a reconditioned AO751H-1948 with the Atom Z520 cpu. Everything I read says this is a single core system but the Windows Task Manager shows performance for two, lists two when setting cpu affinity, and the hardware manager lists two Z520s.

Is Windows XP confused or is this really a dual core processor?

-- Larry

PS: This is my first post here and I couldn't find a definitive answer but I'll bet this has been addressed before.....

larrymcg, Dec 10, 2009
  2. larrymcg

larrymcg

More research on Wikipedia and Intel sites says this processor supports HT (HyperThreading) which results in the operating system seeing two logical processors. According to Intel, some parts of the processor are duplicated but not all of it. So it's not as expensive as a true dual core processor but you get a good percentage of the execution enhancement.

Am I on the right track here?

--Larry

larrymcg, Dec 10, 2009
  3. larrymcg

larrymcg

Today I ran Prime95 torture test. It ran two test threads - one in each "core". The results were interesting.
    The thread in core 0 ran a whole lot of tests to completion (the first test took over 30 mins) while the thread in core 1 never completed in first test in over 2 hours. I could see from the core loading that core 0 was running real close to 100% most of the time while core 1 was usually at 20-30%.

I guess Hyper Threading has some load balancing issues or WinXP does. When I ran the same Prime95 test on my true 2 core system it showed both cores running close to 100% all the time and both test threads completed their tests at the same time. That is good load balancing.

--Larry

larrymcg, Dec 11, 2009
Ask a Question