AO721 processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by killjoy01, Dec 9, 2011.

1. killjoy01

killjoy01

i was wondering if i could upgrade the processor of my netbook because i'm not satisfied with my netbook's performance. And if i can change it, to what? thanks

killjoy01, Dec 9, 2011
  2. killjoy01

Swarvey Moderator

Short answer no. The CPU's and GPU's are BGA (Ball Grid Array) and are soldered to the motherboard. They cannot be replaced. The best you can do is upgrade the RAM and possibly find a faster hard drive or storage medium.

Swarvey, Dec 9, 2011
  3. killjoy01

killjoy01

so there is really no hope of improving its processor?

killjoy01, Dec 12, 2011
  4. killjoy01

Swarvey Moderator

Long answer, no. With the CPU and GPU being soldered to the motherboard by a vast number of tiny little balls of solder, you would need a reflow bench to replace with just the stock standard processor. Evn then this would entail evenly heating the solder balls to just the right temperature to loosen them, without being so hot as to allow them to mash into a single blob. Further, to prevent the upgrade process, you would need a CPU with an identical BGA, and support for the chipset in the netbook. Alongside this, there will be a manufacturer-implemented maximum speed CPU. And lastly, the BIOS is probably only able to accept the appropriate CPU as well.

There is absolutely no chance that you can merely replace the BGA CPU in a netbook with a faster one, unless you are some genius engineer who is more capable of understanding the technology involved and are able to come up with workarounds for manufacturer limitations.

Swarvey, Dec 16, 2011
Ask a Question