Anyone using Solaris-based distro(s)?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GearZ, Jul 29, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ

Though this will date me, I really cut my teeth Unix-wise on SunOS and Solaris. Since then, I've used various flavors of SPARC and X86-based Solaris OSes, but have done so less and less.

Anyone using one of the Solaris-base distros on a notebook or other machine? Which one? What do you like about it?

Thanks. :)

GearZ, Jul 29, 2015
  2. GearZ

ryanch94

Is there really any point in using it over Linux? There's even less application support than Linux and it's more closed source than Linux (although it does have a few open source elements).

ryanch94, Sep 15, 2015
  3. GearZ

GearZ

In this date and age, there isn't a big advantage to running Solaris (or a derivative). Back in the day it was very stable and very secure. There are open source versions now (OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, etc.), but still, Linux has matured to a point where it is the better option for most. For those of us that cut our (Unix) teeth on SunOS/Solaris, it still has some allure though.

GearZ, Sep 30, 2015
Ask a Question