Anyone use Provantage to buy an Acer 6cell?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by vantwin2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. vantwin2

vantwin2

Hi,

I'm looking to order an actual Acer battery from Provantage.com for $99.37USD (they state the manufacturer is Acer). I'm in the US and need a longer running ACER battery for my Aspire One (A150). After reading this and other forums, it seems that getting an actual Acer battery is better than getting an aftermarket knockoff. It seems the aftermarket ones have problems either immediately or shortly after purchase. It has been suggested to get an ACER for quality and life. This is the cheapest Acer 6cell I can find.

Has any one had any experience ordering the 6cell from this site? Is it a true Acer? Is it a true 5200mAh or some other (4400 or 4800mAh)? If you have any experience with this company...good or bad...please let me know. I'm looking to order today. Also, if you know of a place to get a cheaper 6cell true Acer battery in the US, please let me know that too. Thanks!

vantwin2, Jun 9, 2009
  2. vantwin2

vantwin2

HI...Now, I can answer my own post. I ordered an ACER 6cell battery from Provantage.com onTuesday evening. It arrived Thursday before Noon CST (USA). So delivery was very fast.

The battery was packaged sturdy. It was not in a static free plastic bag, just a regular plastic bag. There was no bubble wrap, but it was being held in place by a surrounding cardboard holder. So, I do not think it was moving around in the box at all. The Acer battery box was in a larger box (with no cushion) where the smaller Acer box could move back and forth within it. However, as stated, the battery was secured inside the Acer box. I am satisfied with the packaging and delivery from Provantage.com

I examined the battery and compared it to the 3cell. Neither battery explicit says Acer, but both are made by the manufacturer, SIMPLO. The black 6cell is marked as a 5200mAh/54Wh battery . It came 35% charged with 1:49hrs remaining. Considering, I only get about 2hrs total from a fully charged 3cell, it is promising to see the 6cell have 1.5hr+ on only 35% charge. As I'm typing this review, I'm on AC power so that battery is charging. Of course, the 6cell is a little heavier than the 3 cell, but not a noticeable difference. The weight difference of the netbook is barely noticeable.

If you have seen others with pictures of their 6cell in their notebook, this Acer 6cell is no different. It sticks out the back some...about 1/2 inch or so. It is not ugly. IMO, it actually complements it. No other problems. At first I was concerned about getting a black 6cell that sticks out when there are cheaper blue 6cells out there. However, since the blue ones are not Acer batteries and I could not find any positive reviews on those websites or their batteries, I went with this Acer black one (the original one is black anyways). I have not heard anyone say that the blue ones that you can get from Mambate or Global-laptop-batteries match the blue A150 netbook's blue color. I am wondering if the hues are different.

The battery has a rubber rest on top of it for the screen to rest on because it can not go back as far as it use too. However, it is at a comfortable position on that rest(also shown in other reviews). It, also, fits snug in the battery slot, just as the 3cell had. So far, there are no problems with this Acer 6cell right out the box. I will report back after I have done my 3 charge/discharge cycles.

CONS: Price = $99.37USD; Provantage website for repl part LC.BTP00.017 (the black battery) shows a picture of a white battery as it describes the black battery. As noted above, it does indeed come as a black battery. There is a different part number (LC.BTP00.018) for the real white one, $99.87USD.

vantwin2, Jun 11, 2009
  3. vantwin2

vantwin2

Well, as promised I'm reporting back after charging up the battery 3+ times. It has been over a month and of course, I have actually charged this battery well more than 3 times. It is still holding at about 6hrs of use per charge. I do not have any of those battery testing programs mentioned in the forums to test its wear and such. I just know it is working for me. I'm glad I went with getting an actual Acer battery.

vantwin2, Jul 23, 2009
Ask a Question