Anyone running Second Life???

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Alini, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Alini

Alini

Anyone using SL on the acer yet??? Have heard that ppl have been able to run on the EEE 701, but think this was before the [SL] H4 release.

Any tips, help appreciated :)

Cheers.

Alini, Sep 25, 2008
  2. Alini

bluefrog

I installed it on my 512MB RAM 8GB Linux version and found that the graphics card really wants up to the job - jumpy frames to the point where it was unusable.

bluefrog, Sep 28, 2008
  3. Alini

Alini

Hi Bluefrog - can you let me know how you go so far....I installed the SL client, but couldn't get past the login screen. I was hoping to be able to at least login and wind down all the settings to see if would run at all???

Im gonna have a look at the custom viewers from Nicholaz, see if this makes any difference as these run more eificiently on my Mac.

Alini, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Alini

bluefrog

Hey,

Sorry about the delay in replying. Haven't been back on the forum in a while. As far as I recall I didn't do anything strange. Simply downloaded and untarred the package into a folder in my user directory and executed the secondlife script. I may have had to chmod the script first but that's about it. I have just upgraded my RAM to 1GB so I may try running it again when I get a chance to see if the extra RAM helps but I really think it's a limitation of the graphics card.

bluefrog, Oct 19, 2008
  5. Alini

bluefrog

Had another try at running it with my increased RAM - I had also upgraded the graphics driver as detailed elsewhere on this forum but while there was some small improvement it was still pretty jumpy.

I now think that the speed of the SD drive might be an issue too.

All I had to do was download the archive and extract it and then run the secondlife sh script. Your problem may come from a partial extraction or a corrupted download.

[​IMG]

bluefrog, Oct 19, 2008
  6. Alini

Shad0wguy

I have tried running SecondLife on my AAO, though the framerate is so bad it is nigh unplayable. In fact, it ended up locking the whole system up, forcing my to do a hard reboot. The graphics cards in these aren't up to the challenge of any heavy 3d tasks. Though if Acer let us assign more memory to the graphics we might be able to get more out of it.

Shad0wguy, Dec 1, 2008
Ask a Question