Anyone lost wireless on 9.10 with latest update?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ceno, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Ceno

Ceno

After the update from alpha 6 to beta, my network manager freezes when trying to connect to a wireless network. I was guessing drivers, so I tried with the older kernel but nothing changed. It's probably network manager to blame. Wired works though,

Am I the only one this is happening? Any solution you're aware of?

Thx in advance

Ceno, Oct 7, 2009
  2. Ceno

caulktel

I will tell you soon, I'm updating from 9.04 as I type to 9.10. I hope all will work because as I understand it 9.10 has better power management so the battery lasts longer. Fingers crossed!

caulktel, Oct 7, 2009
  3. Ceno

Nudnik_de

I use Wicd instead of network-manager. Performance is really good, no issues at all

Nudnik_de, Oct 7, 2009
  4. Ceno

Ceno

caulktel,
    Yes, the battery does last longer. Almost 2 hours with no tweaking (I have the AOA110), it's quite remarkable.

Nudnik_de, how easy is installing wicd these days? It used to be quite difficul, is it as easy as installing the package and the whole setup just works automagically?

Ceno, Oct 8, 2009
  5. Ceno

caulktel

Okay, It just finished the update and everything is working great including wireless. It says that I have 3:31 remaining on the battery. If that is correct, I just gained a hour on battery. :D

As long as we don't go backwards, I think this is great and look forward to the final release.

caulktel, Oct 8, 2009
  6. Ceno

lotus49

I tried upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 but lots of things broke so I tried a clean install.

After that, nothing broke (except I am having to recompile the kernel to allow me to suspend with a mounted SDHC card) and now my wireless connection has been flawless. Under 9.04, my wireless card dropped the connection reliably whenever I transferred large quantities of data, so for me, the upgrade has improved my connection quality enormously.

lotus49, Oct 8, 2009
  7. Ceno

Nudnik_de

Installation of Wicd is easy:

sudo apt-get install wicd

Thats all!

It automatically deinstalls the networkmanager. You then start Wicd manually and set your wireless connection. It should work without problems, the Icon should appear in the tray immediately or latest with next reboot. I actuall use it with Kubuntu as well.

Nudnik_de, Oct 8, 2009
  8. Ceno

caulktel

Well, I just installed it and it works okay, but when coming out of sleep it will no longer work till a reboot. At least Network-Manager does this. I would recommend staying with Network-Manager, at least its reliable.

caulktel, Oct 9, 2009
  9. Ceno

Ceno

Yep, wicd is that easy to install. Solved the problem I had. A couple of questions:

Does everyone confirm that wicd cannot resume a wireless connection after suspend? I cannot suspend to try it out, which leads me to my next question.

lotus49, for better performance I installed ubuntu to the SD card and put /boot on a small partition on the sdd so the thing can actually boot. When I try to suspend, the pc actually goes to sleep but when I try to resume it crashes. I think it's because of the install being on an SD card, do you have any advice to try to fix this?

Ceno, Oct 9, 2009
  10. Ceno

Nudnik_de

@ Ceno, I've never encountered any issues with Wicd reconnecting after resume. In fact it's quicker and more reliable than network-manager either on Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

Nudnik_de, Oct 9, 2009
Ask a Question