Any windows 98se install experiences?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by koonafour, Jan 2, 2011.

1. koonafour

koonafour

IDFdk3 mesic @2400ft mixed age class forest lakes
    Hi, I'm new here. I tried to search this unsuccessfully, maybe because I choke java script.

I would like to dual boot windows 98se on my 2, AA1 machines. I like the setup of the XP just fine, especialy the restore, I wouldn't want to mess it or it's cute hidden partition up. I don't want to experience partition stress and the creepy feelings of inadequacy and so on either.

It could be that a light *nix from USB would be better, like no registry to fight over. Or hey, while I'm here. How could I just run a clean DOS box that would do for field work. Just a txt editor and a spreadsheet?

Any advice for a enwbie would be nice.

douglas

koonafour, Jan 2, 2011
  2. koonafour

JimK

Hi Douglas. I haven't heard of anybody installing win98 on the Aspire. It's not supported by Microsoft anymore, so it's not safe to run it networked. And I don't think you can get virus protection for Windows 98 anymore. Even if you don't plan to be on a network, it's likely that you won't be able to find drivers for all of the hardware. So even if you can get it installed, your display may only work in VGA or you may get no sound or your touchpad may not work ... you get the idea.

There are several very light Linux distros out there, for example Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux. You also could run Linux in console mode if that's your thing -- check out Vi or Emacs. If you prefer DOS, FreeDOS may be your best choice to work with the newer hardware, but I have very little experience with any DOS. Good luck.

JimK, Jan 2, 2011
Ask a Question