Any Designers using Acer Aspire One??????

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Eee^HaR, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Eee^HaR

Eee^HaR

Hi, are there any students or working adults in the design industry using
    acer aspire one?? With installed programs like Autocad, photoshop and many other programs

Just wanted to know hows the performance of the machine and want versions of the programs you guys have installed???

Eee^HaR, Sep 1, 2008
  2. Eee^HaR

goofball

I use Photoshop CS3 on it. Camera RAW doesn't allow for all the features to be on the screen as it requires 1024x768 and the window can't be resized. I haven't tried Lightroom yet for that but it shows the same screen resolution requirement.

Performance is acceptable, I haven't thrown the D200 raw files at it yet, just the smaller D40 ones.

goofball, Sep 1, 2008
  3. Eee^HaR

Eee^HaR

ohh... thanz man,

but would it be better to install an earlier version of photoshop like CS2 or autocad 2008? as the intel atom can handle it better?
    Im an interior design student you see and i don't want to carry a heavy laptop to school, im getting my 'one' next week.

Eee^HaR, Sep 1, 2008
  4. Eee^HaR

goofball

I believe Photoshop CS2 also has the same 1024x768 requirement, not sure if ACR did.

Within Photoshop, it's ok, I have readjusted the toolbars and all that ok, so I can work with it but it's just ACR now.

I don't use Autocad, can't say how that would work but I imagine it should be fine.

goofball, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Eee^HaR

Antithesis

I will be installing both CS3 and Lr2.0 when I get my AAO on Wednesday and I'll post up the results. I'm curious about using programs for tethered shooting for interiors. I think it would be cool to have my laptop fit in my camera bag and use it for checking focus and such.

Antithesis, Sep 8, 2008
  6. Eee^HaR

Obsidian

I've installed both Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2 on it. Runs pretty well, though there isn't much screen space to do much. I have to pan and zoom quite a bit but its workable in a pinch when I'm taking photographs outside or on location and want to check them quickly. With Lightroom I have all the panels set to autohide so that they are out of the way and I get as much photo viewing area as possible.

Obsidian, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Eee^HaR

levitron

I also have PS CS3 and LR2.0 on mine. Both run OK on it, but LR is a bit cramped.

Like Obsidian said, I also have all the panels hidden away save for the main viewing pane because of the small screen space. It's good for dumping photos, but I think it pretty much stops there. Heavy editing is a definite no, but it's good for editing on the run and to quickly check results.

EDIT: I have the 120GB 3-cell.

levitron, Sep 8, 2008
  8. Eee^HaR

stoogee

i've been using Solidworks 2007 to do some engineering simulations,

stutters a fair bit if u rotate the 3d image, but does the job properly

stoogee, Sep 8, 2008
  9. Eee^HaR

midgetdiablo

I'm using Photoshop CS2 on the Aspire One in fullscreen mode. It works quite well, but obviously a bigger screen would be better. I've also ran Maya 8 on here, but it crashed the first time forcing me to hard reset, and I haven't tried using it again since.

midgetdiablo, Sep 8, 2008
  10. Eee^HaR

DomDaBomb

You should try Maya 2008 aka Maya 9. Works great but as expected as you start having over 500 polygons it will lag just a little bit, but it shouldnt be too bad. So it makes the AA1 great for modeling, Animation could get slow and dont even use it to render. Other then that Maya works great besides the small resolution.

DomDaBomb, Sep 13, 2008
  11. Eee^HaR

kairijuno

Will Max 8 running in this machine?, I just have the One two days ago (A110).

kairijuno, Sep 29, 2008
  12. Eee^HaR

jesterfromfev

I have the 120gb version, running vista home premium with 1.5gb ram, it runs Autocad lt 2008 well. The first problem you will encounter is installing, you will need to plug in an external monitor as the install button is off screen.
    Every time it runs it says that you need 1024 x 768 to run, but it runs anyway!
    You will need to mess about with your menus a bit to get the most desktop area.

I even drew up a survey on it last week!

Mark

jesterfromfev, Sep 29, 2008
  13. Eee^HaR

kairijuno

My A110 is xpsp2 now, I found that max 8 is running well, the installation process takes about 1.5 hour :), I installed vray too, but it just quit when I changed the renderer from the renderer menu, try it again and again, and finally I have to unlock the material window renderer before changing the renderer and now it works :). A110 very slow on installing process, I have no sdhc in it.

kairijuno, Sep 30, 2008
  14. Eee^HaR

ccwh

Photoshop 7.01 is running well.
    Lightroom 1.4.1 and 2.0 are running too, but the version 1.4 is runnig a little big better.
    RealDraw 4.0 at "bitmap vector" GFX software work too, but a lots of space is taken by the toolbars.
    Canon SLR Tools are running well too: Digital Photo Pro (in 1024x768 scaled or not), Eos Utility in liveview.

ccwh, Sep 30, 2008
  15. Eee^HaR

Sendkeys

I have a demo of solidworks mastercam and visual studio .net . It all seams to work fine but i havn't used them for anything crazy. Only basic student projects.

Sendkeys, Oct 3, 2008
  16. Eee^HaR

PeterCharles

Currently I've got ACAD2002, SketchUp6, ChoiceCAD running along with VB6 and NetBeans.

PeterCharles, Oct 15, 2008
  17. Eee^HaR

rory

solidedge v20 on vista
    runs fine, but iv got a C2Q Desktop so I can use that most of the time. It's just good for like in boring lectures, I can catch up on a bit of CAD, only takes about 20 secs to load.
    OK the weirdest thing happened, I thought ill get actual times to load on my desktop and AAO, and it took 19 secs on desktop (yes the desktop in my sig) and 17 on the AAO :eek:
    and as I was writing all that down, I thought I'll try again, and it loaded in a split second... Strange
    Anyway, 14 second loading time on the AAO is amazing in my opinion...

rory, Oct 17, 2008
  18. Eee^HaR

Frits

i am using bluefish and gimp, for webdesign on the a110, i don't save files on the 8gb disk, but on a 16gb usb stick.
    performance is good.
    i can have both open, and still use firefox.

Altough i don't do all my work on it.........

Frits, Oct 17, 2008
  19. Eee^HaR

OctaneGuy

A good alternative to Pshop is called Lightbox Image editor..there is a free version and a Plus version. Performance is very fast and you can open up Nikon NEF (RAW) files out of the box. No plugins needed like in Pshop. I've got both a Nikon D70s and a Sony Alpha 200 DSLR which uses ARW files, the Lightbox has no problems opening either. I'm also using an iomega eGo 320GB external USB drive with my Aspire for storing photos.

I'm running Illustrator without issues and for my manufacturing work---eMachineshop has their own drawing software that lets you display your manufactured piece in 3d, and the AspireOne has no issues with that. Since I'm an inventor, the Aspire One hasn't let me down with any of the tools I need to use.

Richard

OctaneGuy, Oct 20, 2008
  20. Eee^HaR

chuckcalo

Photoshop CS3 works great.

chuckcalo, Oct 20, 2008
Ask a Question