Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Nemix, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Nemix

Nemix

Avira Premium
    Nod32
    Kaspersky

Nemix, Sep 22, 2008
  2. Nemix

STEEEL

STEEEL, Sep 22, 2008
  3. Nemix

forestspark

forestspark, Sep 22, 2008
  4. Nemix

Tamrac

For our AAO - needs resource friendly antivirus.

NOD32 - fast, light, and also the best AV available. Not free.

AVIRA - light fast, one of the best, FREE. downside is NAG screen on update, and no spyware, malware detection.

Tamrac, Sep 22, 2008
  5. Nemix

M4cr0s

An interesting product is Norton Antivirus 2009. Its supposed to be completely redesigned from the previous and ridicilously bloated versions, using a smaler memory footprint than any of its major competitors, installing quickly and is generally supposed to be a massive improvement. Haven't testet it myself (its just released), so I cannot vouch for it, but it sounds very promising. According to Symantec they set a number of demands regarding stuff like memory usage, install time etc, and they where so harsh that a number of their developers quit because they didn't think it possible. Regardless, they seem to have succeeded in reaching their goals recently. I'd stick around untill reviews and tests start to appear before considering buying an antivirus package.

Otherwise I give thumbs up for NOD32, the 3x version is a great piece of antivirus software, altho not as much ahead of its competitors as it used to be a few years ago.

/Mac

M4cr0s, Sep 22, 2008
  6. Nemix

woofer00

Symantec Corporate Edition antivirus software is quite efficient, typically available through your educational or corporate institution. Very stripped down, very efficient, very non-instrusive.

non-free AV software tends to update sooner and respond to new viruses more effectively, but a security-conscious person might be okay with a free variety that isn't as proactive about catching the absolute newest infection. free AV tends to be a few hours to a few days behind in releasing virus definitions.

I use Avast on some of my computers, and it works pretty well, doesn't seem to interfere much.

woofer00, Sep 22, 2008
  7. Nemix

damnet007

I use the Mcafee total security suite which seems to run well on my AAO 150. The only downside is that it can take a few seconds (5secs or so) to open when you want to manually run a scan (other antivirus software are probably quicker at responding), but otherwise I quite like it - virus scanner, network protection, email/IM protection, parental controls, etc, and the license allows you to install it on a few of your network clients too.

damnet007, Sep 22, 2008
  8. Nemix

machani

machani, Sep 23, 2008
  9. Nemix

Tamrac

Actually he was refering to AVIRA not AVG hehehe. But AVG is also pretty good. :)

Tamrac, Sep 23, 2008
  10. Nemix

machani

machani, Sep 23, 2008
  11. Nemix

Nemix

If you shop around, I'm pretty sure you can get NOD32 (OEM) from online computer vendors for a better price than buying from Esset themselves. Here in Canada, we get NOD32 (OEM) on sale for $10. Personally I'm happy with Avira Free for XP on my AAO but for Vista on my desktop I use NOD32.

Nemix, Sep 23, 2008
  12. Nemix

Daijoubu

uh, that's Antivir, not AVG

+1 for Antivir being the best free av, highest detection rate and small foot print

Daijoubu, Sep 23, 2008
  13. Nemix

cheungpakwan

+1 for AVG FREE version 8..

light fast n easy to update..

cheungpakwan, Sep 24, 2008
  14. Nemix

Puru

Right I've been a long time user of avg and was quite ok with it untill my desktop got screwed up because avg didn't detect a virus...anyway on my AAO150 I am using avg for now (It's running on vista ultimate) and as i type this message I'm scanning the computer for viruses using avg and it uses a lot of CPU!!! Seriously I'm looking at it now and the CPU usage is 86%
    (btw no other application running in the background...just avg scanning)!!! Can someone please advise me of a resource friendly antivirus...Cheers

Puru, Oct 16, 2008
  15. Nemix

Dartsani

If that one is actually scanning the files, then that 86% is ok. Or is it just running background to protect your computer?
    Then again, you are 100% sure that AVG is taking all that cpu time and not the lousy vista?

Dartsani, Oct 16, 2008
  16. Nemix

scudder2u

At the bottom of this article there are a few links to recent antivirus test results from "Sunbelt Software". I cant speak to the veracity of the contents but the findings seem consistent with other reviews I have seen in the past.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Best ... 0796.shtml

Hope that helps you decide.

scudder2u, Oct 16, 2008
  17. Nemix

Puru

To Datsini:
    That's right mate it was while scanning files...in fact the cpu usage reached upto more than 95% at some occassions...the system was completely idle(no other processes/programs running in the background) so not much of interference by vista!!! Whereas I installed a trial of eset nod32 last night and i gotta say its pretty good...lot better on the resources....

To Scudder2u: Thanks for the link mate...i'll have a read... btw...avg is nowhere in the tops ;-)

Puru, Oct 17, 2008
  18. Nemix

dkaile

AVG is the best... free, catches everything...

dkaile, Oct 17, 2008
  19. Nemix

Puru

oh come on brother...i used to be a fan of avg as well untill it screwed it up...test it and you'll know...peace...

Puru, Oct 17, 2008
  20. Nemix

Puru

anybody using avira antivir??? how's it compared to eset nod32 (on resources as well as detection)...want to know someone's opinion before buying...tnx

Puru, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question