antivirus for linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bluesfloyd, Sep 18, 2016.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi, guys
    installed Linux mint (mate) what antivirus would you guys recommend I use , just to be really safe?

thanks for your time guys,
    bluesfloyd,

bluesfloyd, Sep 18, 2016
  2. bluesfloyd

remnant

Actually, the threatscape of Linux is quite different compared to other operating systems like Windows due to security configuration and the dearth of heavy usage in Windows. The latter is targeted by 250,000 malware incidents as compared to Linux which is invisible in laptops and desktop interfaces, its architecture is different. Thats not to say that its absolutely safe, its targeted by a 1000 incidents of malware daily which requires far less signatures and view are developing programs to neutralise this.

remnant, Sep 18, 2016
  3. bluesfloyd

rz3300

I think that I have operated under the false assumption that you do not really need much antivirus or security measures in general for Linux, which I am sure is not the case. That is really the rep that they have though, and it kind of makes sense when you think about it. I guess it makes me feel to the need to look a little more into it.

rz3300, Sep 18, 2016
  4. bluesfloyd

Allen1

Sо, thеrе's twо truths hеrе:
    1) UNIX in gеnеrаl is muсh mоrе rеsistаnt tо typiсаl mаlwаrе аttасks thаn is Windоws
    2) Running АV is still а gооd idеа, pаrtiсulаrly if yоu'rе running 3rd pаrty аppliсаtiоns likе Jаvа, Flаsh, еtс.
    I hаvе tо run Jаvа, аnd а vеry оut-оf-dаtе vеrsiоn аt thаt, оn my Ubuntu lаptоp. Nо сhоiсе аbоut it. I usе it tо аdministеr sоmе rеlаtivеly аnсiеnt еquipmеnt fоr whiсh thе rеmоtе аdmin intеrfасе rеquirеs it. I usе thе сLI аs muсh аs I саn, but аlаs, fоr rеpоrting аnd thеn trасking dоwn issuеs, it's thе GUI оr nоthing.
    I аlsо run Flаsh, bесаusе I usе thе lаptоp fоr tеsting purpоsеs аnd оnе оf thе sеrviсеs bеing tеstеd is а hеаvy Flаsh usеr. аnd Flаsh fоr Ubuntu isn't еxасtly а priоrity аt аdоbе, sо... It's еithеr аn оldеr vеrsiоn оn Firеfоx оr PеppеrFlаsh in сhrоmium. Nеithеr еxасtly bug-frее.

Allen1, Sep 18, 2016
  5. bluesfloyd

SirJoe

If you look at your software center you should be able to find something. Most people that use Linux don't have a AV installed but you never can be too careful. I personally don't have one installed but I know that it's good practice to use one.

SirJoe, Sep 21, 2016
  6. bluesfloyd

AngelicDevilTel

I personally don't use one I just use a firewall
    But I am sure that they are in the software center somewhere.

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 24, 2016
Ask a Question