Anti Virus questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I've just bought the Acer one with 8GB and Linux. I've never used Linux before and only a few days ago had to pay to get my PC sorted after getting a virus on it. Now to my questions, Should I be concerned about getting a virus on Linux? And if so, how do I prevent it? Is there an anti virus program I should be downloading?
    Cheers

Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  2. Guest

kwbouchard

Avast makes a free version of their anti virus program for linux, I've used it and it did find 1 virus on a linux laptop that had been running for a year. But all in all the risk of virus infection is much lower on a linux machine. The most likely scenario is that the linux box will be carrier for a virus and infect windows machines when they copy a file.

kwbouchard, Aug 31, 2008
  3. Guest

flamingswrd

I'm not a very good source, but from what I've read, Linux is practically immune to most forms of viruses and other malicious stuff. There's a good reason why too; Microsoft is such a big target that it is more beneficent to attack them (most companies and government applications use it).

If you really think you need it, Avast should cover what you need. A quick google or wikipedia search should help you find anything else.

flamingswrd, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question