Anti Virus necessary?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by marcfrost, Jan 24, 2009.

1. marcfrost

marcfrost

Hello,

I got my new Aspire One with the 512 Ram with Linux Linpus and just wanted to know
    if it is necessary to use an Anti Virus Software. If so, do you have a suggestion, which
    one (free download) is appropriate ?

Thanks a lot, marcfrost.

marcfrost, Jan 24, 2009
  2. marcfrost

Rapax

Necessary for what?

If you mean to protect your Linux machine from Viruses, then no. There are no Linux Viruses in the wild.
    If you intend to scan email attachements and other files that may later be sent to Windows or Mac machines, in order to not spread contaminated files, then maybe yes. ClamAV is an excellent scanner for that purpose. I use it to scan .iso's of Windows games that I torrented for instance.

Rapax, Jan 25, 2009
  3. marcfrost

steven.chien

NO, because viruses for Linux are really really rare, you will be very "LUCKY" catch one. but if you want one for fun, you can use Avast, www.avast.com
    It's free but you need to reg. reg. is free too! I installed this just for fun!

steven.chien, Jan 27, 2009
  4. marcfrost

Aspiration

It says you have to purchase on the website. Where did you see Free?

I have a mac running virus barrier x4 which can scan the local intranet.
    How do I get it to talk to linpus so it can scan it?

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  5. marcfrost

barrie

I see no real need for running an AV on a Linux system, but will add I do run AntiVir Personal for UNIX, just to monitor my outgoing mail as I communicate with many MS and Mac systems and do not want to send a possible infection that will cause them harm.

barrie, Apr 2, 2009
  6. marcfrost

steven.chien

steven.chien, Apr 2, 2009
  7. marcfrost

Aspiration

At the top of the screen it says purcase. Just found the download home edition link and did that. Waiting for registration now. Thanks.

Are there any problems with installation I should be aware of before trying it?
    Normally, I'd just use virus barrier x4 on the mac to scan other local computers but for some reason it can't find the linux netbook. Both run apache don't they? Weird. Have to figure out how to connect to this netbook sometime. :D

Aspiration, Apr 2, 2009
  8. marcfrost

Darryl

AVG is far better. Download this and go online and it will update to the latest version.
    http://www.brothersoft.com/avg-free-linux-47492.html
    I tried avast and a virus still got thru to my windoze college machine. If it doesnt come up under right click you can run it from the command line with "sudo avggui" or add an icon to the desktop in the usual way.
    Hope it helps.

Darryl, Apr 2, 2009
  9. marcfrost

Aspiration

my windoze machine gets more viruses than anything else on my network. Just farted around to get networking done and had my mac scan it for viruses again. Same ones that were on it before. Wish there was a way to scan my aspire the same way without changing too much on the system. Windoze finally worked after I pinged it a bunch of times. Before that it couldn't figure dick all about the local intranet. There has to be an easier way to do this intranet stuff on the aspire. Maybe something in a future upgrade?

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  10. marcfrost

Aspiration

Oh yeah. Are there any installation issues with AVG on the aspire? Is it just open the file and it runs or is there a lot of command line stuff to work with? Some installs like brother printer drivers are command line only installs.

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  11. marcfrost

Tamrac

It's not necessary. But in doing so can also PREVENT infections to windows PC's. USB sticks are major carriers of viruses now, even though most will not infect MACs and Linux boxes. By installing AV on your linux box helps reduce Microsoft Windows from infections too, hehe. ;)

Tamrac, Apr 7, 2009
  12. marcfrost

Darryl

The first time i installed it i had to run it from the command line with simply
    Code:
    avggui
    this opens the gui (graphical user interface) so you just point and click as usual.
    You'll find a desktop file so you can add an icon to the desktop.
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    and add the line
    Code:
    <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/avggui.desktop</app>
    to the file section in my case (group 8 sequence 7) remembering to change the app sequence number to one that is not used in that section.
    Enjoy

EDIT
    You may also want to edit the desktop file and change the name= to something shorter!

Darryl, Apr 7, 2009
  13. marcfrost

suecoo66

I downloaded AVG for linux from Computeractive. How do I now open the programme as I can't seem to find my downloads. I read your post that mentions typing something into the command line. I'm a complete novice with Linux so can you explain where I do this? I just got my AA1 Friday.

suecoo66, Apr 19, 2009
  14. marcfrost

Darryl

You should find the file under "downloads" in the file section. Whilst there click the file tab and you'll find an option for "terminal" thats where you'll enter commands.
    You'll probably need the following if you're a complete newb...
    Enable right click menu with this..
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1502&hilit=advanced+mode&start=10
    for password this..
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9597
    Most of all have a good read of the stuff in the beginners section to find out whats what and use the search function. Most of your questions will already have been answered. Feel free to P.M me should you need.
    :)

Darryl, Apr 19, 2009
  15. marcfrost

dattaway

I wish someone would write a virus that can run on Linux. I've been missing out on all the fun these years.

dattaway, Apr 19, 2009
  16. marcfrost

Lisa Davis

I think that anti-virus is necessary for every system. Even if it is something like Linux where viruses are rare.... I would be the one to catch the rare virus anyway! I have used both avast and AVG. I prefer avast to AVG so far. Both are free for the regular versions, which are sufficient for a non-commercial user.

Lisa Davis, May 16, 2016
  17. marcfrost

Corzhens

I'm surprised on this - that there are no Linux viruses. That was the saying then that there are no Apple viruses so a Mac is always safe. But I have read in this forum that there are now Apple viruses. But with Linux, there is none? Do you know the reason why there are no Linux viruses? With the Mac, the tech said it is difficult to penetrate the Mac OS (that was before) and is that also the reaosn for Linux?

Corzhens, May 16, 2016
Ask a Question