another Aspire one black screen of death...?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by yarmon, Aug 10, 2010.

1. yarmon

yarmon

I've noticed the same problem with these computers over and over, but rarely do i find anything about mine: I start the computer (battery or powered by charger makes no difference) i hear the computer's fan running throughout, the power button is lit, and the acer logo pops up. from here, i can access the F2 menu with all of the setup. but after that logo disapears and it should start booting, i get the black screen with a little flashing undertone on the top left. it just sits there, blinking. i let it charge overnight and it never goes away. this happened completely randomly when i tried to turn it on. all i can currently do is: access that F2 menu, which functions fine. or press ctrl alt delete during my "black screen" to restart the booting process. which ends in the same black screen. :shock:

also, after letting that little undertone blink for about 2 minutes or so, if i press the keys in desperation, i get a HORRIBLE beeping sound. on yahoo answers i was told my harddrive is dead (which seems very possible) and the beeping was the spindle bearing...the guy posted a video of what that sounds like and mine sounds nothing like it. it sounds like a monotoned smoke detector. and its almost as loud. someone please help; should i flash BIOS like other people with the black screen do? or is mine different??? :|

yarmon, Aug 10, 2010
  2. yarmon

Swarvey Moderator

I'd agree that your storage medium is causing problems, or at least the partition on it is not. The beeping you're hearing is the PC-Speaker inside the machine. Essentially until the OS has started loading, the machine is still sort of under the influence of the BIOS. While this is going on, the machine can only accept so many keystrokes, once this limit is reached, it will start beeping with every keystroke.

To test if it's your storage medium (HDD), temporarily remove it and see how the boot process goes, if my memory is correct, it'll attempt to boot from the LAN so you'll see some text referencing the PXE ROM

If this fixes it, create yourself a Live-Bootable USB distro of linux (probably Ubuntu), re-install the hard drive and boot from the USB stick (change your BIOS boot options), from there you will be able to see if your hard drive is indeed trashed.

Swarvey, Aug 11, 2010
  3. yarmon

yarmon

alright thank you, it did attempt to boot from LAN and it told me to insert a disk so it could boot. now about this USB distro of linux: what exactly should i do now? lol im not BAD with computers, but i have never had to try to boot one from a USB drive before. if you could tell me what to do next that would be VERY much obliged!

yarmon, Aug 11, 2010
Ask a Question