android image

Discussion in 'Android' started by edokassiah, Dec 30, 2009.

1. edokassiah

edokassiah

i wanna dual boot win xp and android but i have a d150 aao
    anyone have the recovery image i tried calling acer but of course no help
    if anyone has done this any step by step?

edokassiah, Dec 30, 2009
  2. edokassiah

minefield

+1 here too, except im on previous D250 (XP Home w/out android)
    can't believe that D250-1613 (w/ android version) has been released for months, and yet still nobody has share the image / recovery disk for it ? cmon guys, please help us .. desperately needed. been trying to use androidX86 / live android distro, but i prefer the built in one to minimize compatibility issue
    anybody ? admins ?

minefield, Jan 8, 2010
  3. edokassiah

Vinter

this forum is kinda dry on activity the past 3-4 months, I think people have more or less moved on from AAO

Vinter, Jan 14, 2010
  4. edokassiah

ndirons

Hang in there. There is years worth of experiences in this forum which is bound to be useful while you have a AAO. But I did think that there would be an android image.

ndirons, Jan 25, 2010
  5. edokassiah

brotha52

brotha52, Feb 3, 2010
  6. edokassiah

minefield

thanks, but as i mentioned early in my previous post, i have already tried that distro, both live-android and android-x86. only android-x86 can run on my acer d250, but it still lacks some compatibilities / driver issue. so i am really curious to run specific android for D250 for better performance. anybody could share it here ?

minefield, Feb 7, 2010
  7. edokassiah

Guest Guest

I have the Acer Aspire One D250 w/Android (dual boot of XP Home SP3 + Android)... and it's still stock(I am looking to install Linux instead of XP Home)... when I get home from work later tonight, I'll see if I can get that image for you guys and upload it.

Guest, May 25, 2010
  8. edokassiah

minefield

that would be great, please do so ! been waiting so loooooong for this :D

minefield, May 26, 2010
  9. edokassiah

Guest Guest

I'm seeding the torrent of the recovery disc's (including the drivers and applications disc) to Demonoid (hopefully you have an account, as it's private).

However, it's 3 dvd's (2 for OS'es and 1 for Apps/Drivers), 7.27GB so it's going to take me a while on my Cable connection to upload(seed)... so if you can start downloading and seeding it with me, the more people who can do this the quick it'll transfer :)...

Just in case you're not on Demonoid, I have also uploaded it to TorrentReactor.to..

h**p://www.torrentreactor.to/torrents/view_2349428/Acer_Aspire_One_D250_1613_Recovery.html
    h**p://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2258274/?show_files=&page=1&ref=1274925590

Guest, May 27, 2010
  10. edokassiah

minefield

many thanks mate, will try to d/l it (starting from) tonight :D
    and while you're here, please feel free to visit and update my 'official thread' of requesting AOD250-1613 recovery disk http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19418, so hopefully many will read this and start to seeding also. or maybe i should to this by myself on behalf of you ?

minefield, May 27, 2010
  11. edokassiah

hartleyshc

i LOVE you. hopefully after a few android tablets come out we'll have more apps. not sure how the lack of touch will effect us. but still cant wait to look into this further.

Is this a stock factory image? meaning, does it have the program you run to install android after the initial start up to xp? or is android already installed, and this is just an image of that? are theses the disks that came with the system, or your own backup? if your own, what program was used for the recovery image?

hartleyshc, Jun 1, 2010
  12. edokassiah

Guest Guest

I copy pasted it into that thread for you :)

Guest, Jun 1, 2010
  13. edokassiah

Guest Guest

lol, yes I also hope more tablet's will embrace Android. Hopefully the normal full version, not this Acer Stripped down version :-\... but none the less, it is still Android. As for apps, since there is no Market app to access, I have installed the SlideMe app market (http://slideme.org/) on my Netbook... also there is always websites like http://www.cyrket.com/ and http://www.androlib.com/ as well as many others where you can download apps for Android without the official market.

EDIT: I also just found this website as well for Apps, http://apps.doubletwist.com/

It is a little odd working without a touchscreen, but you get used to it. I find myself using the arrow keys on my keyboard more often than the mouse.

Regarding the image, I am not sure how it is going to install on your netbook. Mine from the factory came with XP and Android pre-installed, default boots into XP, within XP there is this Acer Android Management program that allows me to change the boot-up to default to Android if I would like, I can also set a timeout so if it does boot to Android but the mouse/keyboard are not touch in XX seconds, the system will switch over to XP. it's pretty cool, plus it has a build in updated to update Android when Acer releases updates (it has only updated once since I've had my netbook which is about 8 months).

The image you are downloading is exactly what the built-in Acer System Management and Restore application burnt to DVD for me as a system restore in case I were to screw up my system that badly, lol. So these were the ones that "come" with the system, in the box you don't actually get recovery disc's anymore with most PC's you have to create them. That's what these are. So I would assume it would install exactly as my system was OOTB (Out Of The Box), which was a clean dual-boot of Windows XP Home SP3 and Android, boots to XP by default, but you can change that with the Acer Android Management program that is pre-installed in XP.

Good luck and let me know how the installation goes!

Oh and if anyone has any information for me, I am looking to replace my XP Home with Linux (still deciding on which distro) but I am not sure how the HDD is setup for Android. I am not sure if it is on it's own partition or what, so if anyone know's please let me know. If not, I'll just have to throw a linux disc in and check out the partitioning myself :p

Guest, Jun 1, 2010
  14. edokassiah

hartleyshc

i have a spare drive i will install this with. i assume it is set up in 2 partitions. i would like to see how they set some of this up. ive had problems setting up a similar script to boot straight into windows from linux *or preferably chrome*.
    about half way done, will be seeding.

also, for people who aren't demonoid members, Im pretty sure the links are open to the public up to 3 weeks after being posted.

hartleyshc, Jun 1, 2010
  15. edokassiah

hartleyshc

One additional question, does all of the hardware work with android? does bluetooth, the camera, etc work with it? does that model have 3g? do the multitouch gestures work with the os? (pinch to zoom, etc.)
    Im curious to see what all hardware is supported, the D250 came with 3 different webcams, 2 different cpus (sorta, the N270, and N280), a couple 3g cards, and a couple wifi cards (broadcom and atheros).

also if this is the D250-1613, anyone know the model number of the system that came with Android/Win7?

hartleyshc, Jun 2, 2010
  16. edokassiah

Guest Guest

Regarding all of the hardware, I believe it does all work... but I don't recall off the top of my head, I'll boot into Android later and test it and get back to you on that. I do know the Bluetooth and WiFi work... my model has the N280, I upgraded it to 2GB of RAM (totally worth it!) and no 3G... the 3G model wasn't available when I bought mine. Regarding my WiFi card, I have the Atheros AR5B95 Adapter.

Multitouch I'll have to check as well and get back to you... I know it works in XP, I believe it works in Android, just need to double check. In device manager in XP my webcam driver manufacturer shows "Chicony"? not sure which that is, I believe it is the 640x800 webcam... not the 1.3MP...

Here's my Netbook specs, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115662

Android/Win7: I can't seem to find that model.. hope someone can find it and post it! I'm curious.

Guest, Jun 2, 2010
  17. edokassiah

Guest Guest

Can you please seed the recovery? I've got a 8gb ssd a110 running win7 dual booting linux mint. I'd love to extract the acer android image. It shouldn't be too hard as I help some with htc-linux and have developed a few android apps too. The hardest part will probably be dealing with the acer recovery's .swm files. Can you check your computer for the android stuff and also look on alternate partitions. Files should be initrd.gz, rootfs.img, boot.img, system.img or system.sqsh, possibly a cramfs file too. It should be very easy to add in android market too. I have an archos android tablet thats not a google experience device and it was very easy to add market and google apps to it.

Guest, Jun 6, 2010
  18. edokassiah

hartleyshc

Im seeding and just finished downloading last night. Will make a dump of the android partition. You can set up your own boot sector.

Can't wait to take a look at android for x86 (thats not androidx86 :p )

Will post as much info as I can in the next few days. (3x 12 hour work shifts coming up).

edit: is there a standard format that people would want the partition in? raw files? ghost?

hartleyshc, Jun 6, 2010
  19. edokassiah

Guest Guest

Still need seeding got it 50% downloaded and no seeds today. Android seems to be on disc 2 under patch folder called Acer Configuration Manager for Android. Its a 479mb wim file. However I want the full download incase we need something else also.

Guest, Jun 7, 2010
  20. edokassiah

hartleyshc

ok, little update.
    still seeding off and on.

since its just the files and not the iso, i needed to make the first recovery dvd bootable. also the acer recovery program does not mess with the mbr, and will install to your first partition and will not reformat the drive. (so dont install on a windows 7 drive, or any multi-partitioned drive, it will always try to install to the first partition)
    so i grabbed an old xp disc, rebuilt the mbr, installed the recovery on an old 40gb drive. once installed during the first boot, the android installer program told me the partition was wrong, not sure if its cause its a 40gb drive, or if its because theres a separate android partition missing. im not sure if theres another partition or if it installs like wubi. could someone who has android installed take a look? windows should at least show another partition in disk management, if not, it should at least show how big the current xp partition is. it should be smaller if there is some sort of hidden partition. or boot into some live linux distro and see what gparted shows.

thinking of backing up the stock 160 drive and try this process again.

seeding throughout the day.

edit: when i back up the 160 drive, ill move the files over to another computer to seed more permanently.
    edit2: added more details above, possibly making the post harder to read (sorry).
    edit3: after a little research, our version of android is put together by Acer and Insyde (the bios company). There is an official market place for us with all programs guaranteed to be compatible.
    http://www.insydemarket.com/
    The other markets listed before in this thread have many more programs listed, but at least this one is designed for us.

hartleyshc, Jun 8, 2010
Ask a Question