Amarok doesn't reconigze my Ipod

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jccguays, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jccguays

jccguays

Hi,

Yesterday I manage to install Amarok, but when I have tried today to connect my Ipod it doesn't recognize.. Something about daemons HAL and DBUS, and I don't know how to detect or do anything.
    I installed amarok 1.4.9 for Fedora

Any help, please?

Best regards.

jccguays, Aug 15, 2008
  2. jccguays

jango

How can i install Amarok????

jango, Aug 15, 2008
  3. jccguays

jccguays

I downloaded from Amarok webpage in format RPM.Double-click and install

jccguays, Aug 15, 2008
  4. jccguays

zaphod

You can install it from the Package Manager.

zaphod, Aug 16, 2008
  5. jccguays

IMSancho

Is your iPod being mounted? Check that you have "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" ticked under Settings > Settings Manager > File Manager > Advanced > Enable volume management ticked and click configure.

Once it is mounted, open up Amarok and go to Settings > Configure Amarok and then down to the Media Devices icon. You should see that a device on sdb1 has been picked up, change the drop down from 'Do not handle' to 'Apple iPod Media Device' and hit enter.

Your iPod should now be shown under devices (you may have to click connect) and the final thing you need to do is click on the >> beside Transfer and set your iPod model.

IMSancho, Aug 16, 2008
  6. jccguays

jccguays

Hi, sorry for my late reply, I'm preparing my holidays.

I have the iPod mounted and I have had all you say in Amarok, but when I try add the iPod it says that

"No se han encontrado nuevos dispositivos. Si consideras que esto es un error, asegúrese que los demonios DBUS y HAL están ejecutándose y que KDE los soporte. Puede comprobar esto ejecutando "dcop kded mediamanager fullList" en una ventana de Konsole."

It's in Spanish, but it says that I need DBUS and HAL daemons. I have looked for a little in Fedora and it seems it's a bug. I'm not sure.

I'm going on holidays to USA next week and I will like to buy there an iPod and add songs. So, I'm a little annoyed to Amarok, but well, I'll try to find a solution.

Best regards

jccguays, Aug 19, 2008
  7. jccguays

IMSancho

When you go into media devices on the configure amarok screen, do you see sdb1 there? The error you are getting is usually from clicking autodetect, which won't work with the packages shipped with Linpus. you need to change your sdb1 entry to iPod media device and click apply and OK, which will be hidden as they don't fit on the one's screen. Hold down alt and left click and you should be able to drag the window up enough to see the apply and ok buttons.

IMSancho, Aug 20, 2008
  8. jccguays

jccguays

Hi, thanks for all IMSancho.

I finally did it. I had two problems:

1. I was mounting wrongly the mount point in the configuration settings of Amarok.

2. I didn't see the "Ok" and "Apply" buttons, so any change I did it wasn't reflected.

Thanks for all, again.

jccguays, Aug 20, 2008
  9. jccguays

IMSancho

Awesome, glad to see you got it working, I might do up a little guide with some screenshots and put it in the how-to section for others.

IMSancho, Aug 20, 2008
  10. jccguays

CalebW

I can't get Amarok to detect my Zen Stone Plus. It's mounted as a drive, and I can transfer files in File Manager, but on the Configure Amarok screen, no devices are detect it, and so I can't get it to sync.

Any ideas? Thanks!

CalebW, Oct 20, 2008
  11. jccguays

IMSancho

Where is you zen being mounted too? Make sure you can actually explore around in it first before fireing up amarok as sometimes it won't mount until you actually try to access it. Once you know where it's mounting (just type 'mount' in a terminal to see all mounted file systems and their mountpoints) the instructions in this post may help you out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9

Skipping the first 3 steps as you say it's already being mounted.

IMSancho, Oct 21, 2008
  12. jccguays

CalebW

Aha! Got it working!

In the "Configure Amarok" menu I didn't have any devices listed under "Media Devices", but I typed "mount" in Terminal, from which I was able to find the mount point, which was "/media/Stone Plus". I clicked "Add Device" and put that in, and clicked "Connect", and it's all fine now.

CalebW, Oct 21, 2008
  13. jccguays

JonathonMarshall

JonathonMarshall, Dec 1, 2008
  14. jccguays

ObeyOne

Hi all.. had my Linux AAO 150 since Saturday and have loaded Amarok ok but can't get my Ipod Touch to mount :? .
    Tried all from this thread to no avail.. anybody any other ideas??

Karl

ObeyOne, Dec 9, 2008
  15. jccguays

markh

The following terminal commands install amarok, plus extras for playing ipod files etc.

sudo yum update fedora-release
    sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
    sudo yum install rpmfusion-free-release rpmfusion-nonfree-release
    sudo yum install amarok
    sudo yum install amarok-extras-nonfree

markh, Dec 9, 2008
  16. jccguays

ObeyOne

Anybody??

ObeyOne, Dec 9, 2008
  17. jccguays

markh

Is it that you can't get it to mount to the system at all, or that you can mount it but amarok doesn't see it? And have you any problems with using other usb devices, such as a memory stick?

markh, Dec 9, 2008
  18. jccguays

ObeyOne

Hi.. can't get it to mount at all. Haven't yet tried to mount any other usb device - have made recovery on usb but not had to use it yet. I am new to this os and there are a a few other (probably simple) things i'm trying to do but struggling with - will ask for help one at a time tho :oops: .

The only change i've really made is the from the 'user friendly desktop switch' thread which seemed to go quite well :D as well as obviously loading Amarok from add/remove software.

Regards

Karl

ObeyOne, Dec 9, 2008
  19. jccguays

markh

OK, well there are some known issues with desktop mods stopping auto mounting of usb/cards. Might be worth sticking a usb stick that you know works elsewhere in, and seeing if it is detected. If that's not the problem, I think you'll need to be as specific as you can about what you've tried and what results you've had, and hopefully someone will recognise your issue.

markh, Dec 9, 2008
  20. jccguays

ObeyOne

Tried with a usb stick and that mounts no problem - detected straight away.

I have "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" ticked under Settings > Settings Manager > File Manager > Advanced > Enable volume management ticked and click configure.

Is that all for in here??

I've then opened up Amarok and gone to Settings > Configure Amarok and then down to the Media Devices icon.
    Click on Add device, change 'do not handle' to 'Apple ipod Media Device', give name for ipod then for 'Enter Mount Point' -I have no idea???

Click apply then ok.

That's about it - 'No mountedipod found' - i'm probably doing something wrong there?? No???

Karl

ObeyOne, Dec 10, 2008
Ask a Question