After update, linux gets screwed over and over

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

Everytime I bootup I have to reselect the wireless network since installing the updates today.
    Why do I fix this?? It already knows what my settings are!!!

Why does linux crash so often? Its just as bad as windoze 98 for crying out loud. I let it run the photo slideshow and both computer and external computers video was gone. nothing would respond yet again. I am getting real tired of this linux bs.

I told it last time b4 i shut down what to connect to. lost its mind again.
    had to tell it again what bloody wireless connections to use again.
    rebooted. lost its freakin mind again. will this ever end?
    \
    Q@#$%$^#$%&*$% time to do some cursing.

went back in to the connections yet again. told it to put the wireless connection at the top of the list... like that has anything to do with anything. its the only item checked!

how do I fix what's wrong with this linux crapware?

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  2. Aspiration

Aspiration

Finally it remembered... I guess it is real picky and has to have the wireless connection at the top of the list for some backwards reason.

Now its time to go fight with windoze98 because it won't let me install wireless on it now!

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  3. Aspiration

Aspiration

OK. why.... when I get to the forum login screen does it never remember to automatically log me in each tieme when i click the box?

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Aspiration

barrie

Hi Aspiration,

Not sure how many or what mods you have done that might cause this, but I would defiantly choose only the updates you specifically need and not just accept all.

Possibly using the rescue USB stick to take your box back to new and redo /add your essential apps would be the best way forward, as with any OS Linux is dependent on what input we give. Personally I find Linux a lot more forgiving than MS when I do something wrong. :)

Also what Bios are you running and have you flashed it?

barrie, Apr 6, 2009
  5. Aspiration

Aspiration

Didn't do many changes to the original software other than updates, adding skype and the right click menu. Still using Firefox 2 which works just fine. Still have original bios. :!:

Running ext dvd rom, usb keyboard and mouse most of the time. Some of the games are just terrible because they lock up in the same places each time. Other games only work part way cause they want you to buy them. Sounds like Acer's policy is a lot like Microsoft in that regard.

Had trouble this morning with recording audio on the webcam. Tried boosting the mic gain but that seemed to cut the audio off. Probably too much feedback via the speakers. Turned the boost off and it seemed to work again.

It may be true that linux is more forgiving of errors since I haven't had much experience to compare it to Windoze boxes in that regard. I was comparing the linux lockups to windoze's frequent crashes while trying to it shut down. :evil:

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  6. Aspiration

steve48

Hi
    I ran Live Update this morning, which included something about 3G. I am using a Three dongle which, after a few probs, has been fine for a couple of weeks..
    Re-booted and went to Mobile Partner. After the usual two small screens came and went telling me that it had found the dongle, I clicked "Connect" and am left with the usual small screen saying "Connecting".
    However, this wont go away - it normally clears and you are left with the option to "Disconnect" when you have finished on the net.
    I waited several minutes (usually this "Connecting" mini screen disappears after a few seconds.
    Tried re-booting, turning machine off and back on - still same problem with "Connecting" not going away.
    Thought I would try going to Browser anyway and clicked on it. To my amazement I was then connected to the Internet, from where I am writing this note. The Mobile Partner still shows "Connecting" on the mini screen in Mob Partner.
    All was OK until I did the update this am - a mistake to update - "If it works, don't fix it"?
    Anybody else have this problem or has anyone got any ideas what I have done wrong or can do to fix the problem.
    Repeat, all seems OK except according to Mobile Partner, I am still awaiting connection.
    Hope I have put this query in the right place on this forum.
    Cheers
    Steve
    PS By the way, the statistics are not updated on the Stats page of Mobile partner after a session. Obviously cannot view Stats when the "Connecting" mini screen is displayed, but after Closing down (the Cancel button on the mini screen does cancel and leaves the Connect option available again), I can see that there has been no statistics update.
    Cheers again.
    Steve

steve48, Apr 6, 2009
  7. Aspiration

barrie

Hi steve48,

:D

Never a truer word said, and when I ran Live update this morning there was only one available file

A patch for printer(180073)

Size:1320KB

Which I do not need.

@ Aspiration,

As I use my box mainly for on the go work I took all the demo's and preloaded games off as they were dead space, only have a three full games to pass the time Mahjong > Chess > Free call Patience, and all work very smoothly even when in 3D mode, so regarding this gaming lock-up if you press Ctrl > alt > Del then click the resources tab what do you see under Memory and Swap History? As this could me a memory issue, just a thought if it is a regular occurrence or possible a corrupted file within the game/games but that would be very strange. One I could understand but not multiples.

If I am running Mahjong for example the resources it consumes are as follows Memory is 7.1MiB CPU vertically nothing.

barrie, Apr 6, 2009
  8. Aspiration

landbase

Exactly the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Everything with Mobile Partner worked fine until the Live Update today.

landbase, Apr 6, 2009
  9. Aspiration

steve48

Hi Barrie
    Thanks for your comment - I should have said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but my teachers said "ain't" is poor English.
    How do you delete the Games you don't want? I have tried a few things but have seen no options for delete.
    Also, another point, File Manager says I have 6.6 GB free of 12.8 GB. I thought I had 16GB of memory on this shiny new machine!
    Any ideas on my and landbase's Mob Partner probs. Are we the only 2 bods who have encountered this on Update?
    Cheers
    Steve

steve48, Apr 6, 2009
  10. Aspiration

Aspiration

steve48: I discovered that the size of the memory (assuming you mean SDHC memory cards) varies depending on where you go in linux.
    If you go to file manager it tells you the total space available.

In another location it said I only had 8GB.

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  11. Aspiration

Aspiration

steve48. Would be interested in hearing about your 3G experience, perhaps on a different topic. After the downloads I now have a 3G icon in the connection menus. I'm assuming that you purchase a 3G card to get 3G access? Are they usb plugins?
    You might try deleting your access to the 3G and resetting it up again. Perhaps some preferences got messed up? Just an idea.

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  12. Aspiration

barrie

Hi steve48,

Sorry I can not help regarding 3G as I use WiFI or hard wire for connections.

If you want to remove the pre installed games and demo's then use the “rm” command.

Sudo rm -rf/usr/share/games/*sed`/bubbleshooter/,/volleyballey/d` -i$HOME/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

Other games like this
    sudo yum remove ltris frozen-bubble tuxpuck supertux llk-linux sed`/ltris/,/supertux/d` -$HOME/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

I also removed Adobe reader as its size is about 115MB
    sudo yum remove AdobeReader_enu

and loaded evince on instead it is a much smaller (only a few MB ) application and works really well. Have a look here if interested.
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Text-Edi ... 3819.shtml You can use package manager to install it. :)

You can test the (rm) command if you are worried about using it by doing the following without doing any harm.
    Download / or put a picture into your Downloads folder then copy it into your backgrounds/pictures folder, (cp) is the copy command.

sudo cp /home/user/Downloads/your.jpg /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pictures/your.jpg

Now navigate to /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pictures/ and you will see it there.

To remove it (rm)

type
    sudo rm /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pictures/your.jpg

And you will see it has now been removed from the backgrounds/pictures folder.

Hope this helps.

barrie, Apr 7, 2009
  13. Aspiration

steve48

Hi again
    Barrie
    Thanks for your suggestions re Games. Will try later.
    I normally use wifi too, but use the Three dongle when away, like now. (Still showing "Connecting" by the way).
    I hope my Update has not upset my wifi connection when I get back!

Aspiration
    The Three mobile broadband, like the other mobile providers gizmos, is a dongle which you plug into a usb.
    Initially, on clicking the Mobile Partner icon, I could not get any connection. My machine supplier could not help and the Acer help line (50p/min) said to contact the broadband supplier. However he did advise me that at the top of the command line, hit "Tools" and select "Options" and that is where the set up is.
    I contacted Three and asked what should be entered in the fields. They were:
    Profile - Any name of your choice
    APN section - click the "Static" button
    In the APN field, enter "three.co.uk" - in my case as I use Three.
    Authentication "*99#" was already there.
    In Authentication Protocol Setting, click the "CHAP" button.
    It worked when I hit connect!
    My Three dongle, which I already had and used on a Mac and Windows costs £10 per month for 1GB (horrendous charge if you overshoot this, but you can monitor usage) or £15 per month for 3GB.
    I find 1GB more than enough as I don't down load much music etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Steve

steve48, Apr 7, 2009
  14. Aspiration

steve48

Attention "landbase" and anyone else with the same continuous "Connecting" probs on Mobile Partner after update....

I sent a query to acer-euro.com (sent query via Acer site) regarding the strange behavior on connecting to internet. Thought they ought to know about it and also know how to fix.

Just got message from them
    <<
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

If you go into live update and then click on history and then uninstall the latest update and hopefully will work fine again as this is what has caused the problem

Regards
    Jonathan
    Acer Technical Support Team
    >>

As discussed previously, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hope my bits above help.
    Cheers
    Steve

steve48, Apr 7, 2009
  15. Aspiration

landbase

landbase, Apr 7, 2009
  16. Aspiration

Aspiration

The tux game controls stop working and often it locks up. ctrl alt del won't do anything at that point. I can change the screen brightness and that's about all. It looks like the game may have been sabotaged by whoever installed it... forcing you to buy it in order to get a working version etc.
    Once the controls stop working you have to sit and wait until all the penguins are killed off before you can even quit the game. Several times I've tried to quit the game and it won't let me unless all the lives are used up.

Aspiration, Apr 23, 2009
  17. Aspiration

Aspiration

On another thread about games they suggested changing the keyboard configuration in the game. Apparently, control and left arrow are used by linux and this is what causes the issue with Tux becoming non-responsive. Ctrl left configures the keyboard, apparently. I changed the run key from left control to c so that using c and spacebar for running will work without causing the game to stop responding.
    Thanks to those who figured it out!

Aspiration, Apr 26, 2009
Ask a Question