After Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rusty, Sep 6, 2008.

1. rusty

rusty

I have owned my Aspire One A110 for two (2) weeks, and not disappointed in the machine, I have upgraded the memory to 1.5 gigs and installed Windows XP Professional (SP3). The bios version is 3109 with no plan to flash in the near future.
    Although the A110 is the “runt of the litter” in the Aspire One line up, I chose to experience the true netbook concept, which in my opinion relates to size, weight and solid state technology. I have been reading announcements on new SSD's to be released in the near future, and will replace the slow Intel, when cost effective.
    As far as experiencing black screens, playing videos or movies, listening to internet radio and watching streaming news clips, I have had no problem.
    I am running Avira Antivirus and have the following programs installed:

Open Office, Foxit Reader, Adaware, Spybot, GOM Player, Gadwin Print Screen,
    XnView, Advanced Windows Care2. Printer Connection: HP1150 and HP1410

Those expecting to see an Aspire One with the Atom Dual Core, two gigs of ram and Windows XP, it will not happen. XP Licensing Agreement will not allow that configuration. Maybe a Vista or upgraded Linux Distro model is on the horizon.

rusty, Sep 6, 2008
  2. rusty

Guest Guest

The only things I don't like with my A150:

screen flicker on low brightness settings (known problem I believe)
    Atom issues with recovering from standby etc. I'm afraid to use standby these days
    Battery time. 3 cells isn't enough, as soon as I do anything beyond browsing, my battery time gets eaten up. Gonna start carrying the power brick with me. Fortunately its small, but it feels counter intuitive.

Very pleased for what's sort of a "first gen" netbook, I think in 6 months we'll start seeing some much improved designs etc, and I don't regret not waiting for the other netbooks that are due soon at all, since they all have faults

Guest, Sep 6, 2008
  3. rusty

pdox

I have had mine for less than a week, few days only but am liking it a lot. Using it then switching to my regular laptop just feels like a big transition. While I like the big screen on the big laptop but lugging that around feels ridiculous. This one is so easy to carry about and the SSD means I don't have to worry about a spinning hard disk or added heat from the hdd.

i have winxp installed and ya, sure there is lag but none too terrible after following tips here. so it's all good. i am using it without any SDHC cards and I had tried to upgrade the 1gb ram with another 1gb stick but am not sure if the second ram slot is occupied or empty? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Oh ya, video editing is fine on it too, the only thing i find quite difficult to work on with the current config (no page file etc) IS PHOTOSHOP so i have uninstalled that and will use a light photo editor instead which is fine too.

pdox, Sep 7, 2008
  4. rusty

redmildcali

What about battery life? Are you guys oK with it?

redmildcali, Sep 7, 2008
  5. rusty

ipearl

I have has mines for 3 days. AAO 110 SSD Version
    And Oh Em Geh I am loving it !!!
    Its Small, not too small like my friends Asus 7xx or 9xx keyboard wise.
    The mouse click are a bit to get used to but not Horrible.

15 min after arrival it got 1gb added on to it to 1.5gb.
    After playing with it for 4 hours. I ripped it apart again and shuffed a 100GB 1.8" HD into it.
    Slight modding needed to make things fit. And there, i spotted so much free space for modding.

The 1.8" 100gb HD seems to run cooler than my friend's 2.5" 120GB version.
    And mines require less power than his, lil more than SSD but less than 120GB version

Battery last me about 2-3 hours reg surfing etc etc. I Dont mind bringing the brick with me in my backpack since it's fairly slim. =)

I am currently using XP Home SP3 installed via USB.
    Antivirus I am using AVG Free Edition. (Any other you guys know off w/o ads and don't eat up CPU power ?)
    I am still debating on my office program.?
    Doe any one know if macromedia Studio 8 works on this thing ?

ipearl, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question