Aerial and Motorcycle photography

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hugemoth, Feb 23, 2009.

1. hugemoth

hugemoth

During the summer I'm often away from home for weeks at a time while camping, flying my ultralight, or riding motorcycles. I like to be able to do photo editing with photoshop and email photos via wireless from the road. Carrying a full size laptop on motorcycle trips is a pain since it uses a lot of power from the motorcycle's limited electrical system, takes up a lot of room, and adds to the weight load. The netbook is a perfect solution.

With aerial photography I often get slightly blurry images because of early morning low light and the motion of the plane. The pics may look sharp and clear on the camera's small screen but when viewed at full size the blur becomes obvious. With the netbook I can check the pics after landing then go back up and redo them if necessary.

Q

hugemoth, Feb 23, 2009
  2. hugemoth

planetperki

i try to go to as many bike races as possible within the year!

BSB
    MOTO GP
    WSBK
    Club Races
    Classics
    Moto-X

and my little AAO will be taken to them all! i took it with me to take some wildlife shots the other day and it was almost perfect for checking the photo's when i'm having a short break! but when the motorsport season comes back around i will be religiously taking it to all races and meetings with my camera!

since i installed leopard onto it and have installed aperture, lightroom and photoshop along with various other pieces of photography software... it has more or less taken over from my previous laptop as my bring-a-long laptop!! :D

its awesome and i love it!!

thanks!

planetperki, Mar 2, 2009
  3. hugemoth

Aspiration

How do you get around the issue with not being able to view what you are taking pictures of? Trying to view the webcam video to frame a picture must be a bit of a hassle. I believe someone developed a mirror adapter for iphones so you can see yourself while taking pictures.

Aspiration, Jul 8, 2009
  4. hugemoth

DutchDK

They aren't using their AAO's to TAKE the pictures. They are using their AAO's to check, edit and transmit the pictures taken by their digital cameras :

DutchDK, Jul 8, 2009
  5. hugemoth

Video

My experience has been, that most camera's have a "Zoom" option on the "review" setting. Don't know what you got, I've got a cheapo EZshare camera 8MP and you hit review, then hit up or down on the zoom buttons to zoom in or out and the dpad to move the viewing area around. I'm sure yours does to (though from a hang glider, this may not be practical)

Another option is to mount the camera to a helmet, and have it set to take a picture every few seconds or so, and let it go on it's own with the screen turned off. Though you may still not get the shot your looking for, and it can be hard to focus on something specific and not know if it took a picture or not.

Video, Jul 19, 2009
Ask a Question