Advent 4211 or Acer Aspire 150 Blue (120GB HDD 512mb ram)

Discussion in 'Other Laptop Models' started by kbbk, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kbbk

kbbk

Right need some help!!! :)

I have been looking at getting a UMPC/netbook for some time, but, as of the start of August, I'm actually going to have money for it! I have a budget of upto £340 for the laptop, and am not quite sure what to go for. Battery life isn't really a problem as I am going to be getting this power supply - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 4&doy=29m7 which gives about an extra 3 hours usage.

This is how I see it:

MSI Wind - Quite nice, but very hard to find, and Advent 4211 is almost the same. Price - £330

Advent 4211 - Almost exactly the same as Wind (Prefer the style a little bit) but has a much smaller battery. Price - £280

Acer Aspire One - Think this unit is brilliant, like everything about it (except the battery, though thats not a problem), but it does have a smaller screen than the Wind, and the chasis seems to be about the same size. Price - £230

So I suppose its really a question of is it worth an extra £50 for the bigger screen?

Any advice would be much appreciated (or alternative suggestions!) :D

kbbk, Jul 29, 2008
  2. kbbk

niem102

Well do you have any reasons to need a bigger screen? If it's just for basic use then I think the smaller screen should do the trick and the 50 you save could come into use somewhere else I'm sure. Not to mention a smaller screen probably means it's more efficient...so your added power would probably last longer on the One.

niem102, Jul 30, 2008
  3. kbbk

Davidcowling

its only an inch bigger..

+ the one is super sexy compared to the wind, as long as you get a blue one!

Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008
  4. kbbk

kbbk

went into PC World yesterday to have a look at the Advent, n it looked gd... but the sales guy kept saying it was better, without actually telling me why... :S

Think the acer is much better - it looks so much better, its cheaper, and I just like it more! :)

Thanks for your help ppl, still up for anymore suggestions! :D

kbbk, Jul 30, 2008
  5. kbbk

midgetdiablo

There's a new review for the advent4211 on the trustedreviews.com site. Check it out.

midgetdiablo, Jul 30, 2008
  6. kbbk

kbbk

Now that has made a difference...

I've spoken to a few different people, and just having seen the Advent makes me want it! Its the same as the Wind, with the same screen, for £280. But even then, its only an extra £50 between the Acer and the Advent, and I could go buy the Advent when I get paid.

Found this comparison:
    http://liliputing.com/forums/index.php?topic=20.0

So the acer seems to feel cheaper... But then at £230 from dabs.com I'm still not sure which one to get!

Whats anyone elses view? Acer Aspire One or MSI Wind/Advent 4211? Tough choice...

kbbk, Jul 30, 2008
  7. kbbk

Davidcowling

i went to pc world in swindon hoping to have a look at both of these. but they only had the advent.

it was really nice, built well and a sick screen.

REALLY want to have a look at the acer tho before i get one

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  8. kbbk

kbbk

Yh, want to see them side by side. Not actually seen the aspire one up close yet, just the advent, which makes it a bit of a hard decision. From what I know, the Advent is just slightly bigger than than the one, but then has the bigger screen.

Also, I like a laptop in black... :)

Still not sure, see what happens when i get paid lol

kbbk, Jul 31, 2008
  9. kbbk

Davidcowling

looks wise, i prefer the AA1 over the advent/msi.

but then i havent seen the AA1, so i cant make a decent decision.

the msi did seem very light, a little bit too light????

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  10. kbbk

kbbk

Yh from what I've seen I prefer it, but I haven't seen the one, so its quite hard to make a decision.

To be honest it did seem a bit too light, almost flimsy, but then I think the one's going to have the same feeling to it. I liked the screen on the advent, but I can't really make a comparison with the one.

Just have to wait till they (finally) release the one in the UK... :(

UPDATE: Saw this video on YouTube - and I realised just how little difference in size there is. Think I might get the advent, just because I can go round to the shop and buy it, but I shall wait and see if the One is out before I get paid... hopefully, so I can see them both together for real and be able to make a better decision :)

kbbk, Jul 31, 2008
  11. kbbk

kbbk

Well made my decision today people... I preordered the one! :)

As I'm a student on a budget, it makes more sense, plus the one just looks sooo much better! just can't go wrong with it!!

Still think this thread is a gd place to discuss the 2, as they are very close to each other in terms of pricing, size, and what you get (no included case just lost the sale... :))

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

kbbk, Aug 1, 2008
  12. kbbk

Sid

I know you made a good choice, but here is my $0.02 for others in the same position.
    The comment about build quality is way off, I have flown all over Europe with the One, the keyboard is not flimsy, in fact it is very usable.
    Don't buy either until you have done a direct physical comparison, if you do, you will be sorry.
    Remember reviews are only someone else's opinion make a real comparison and decide for yourself on your hands on experience.

Just because someone likes strong cheese and writes a review saying "very nice cheese", there is no guarantee you will like the same cheese.
    :D

Sid, Aug 1, 2008
  13. kbbk

Davidcowling

i have seen the advent 4211, and i felt too light??!. not sure if thats just me or it actually it really flimsical.

would love to see an AA1 before i buy one, just not sure where i can in the UK

Davidcowling, Aug 2, 2008
  14. kbbk

rjm

There is a divergence of opinion on the build quality of the A1. The majority are impressed, while a minority are not.

All but one of the formal reviews I've read have praised the build quality, and from the user comments as well its a similar 10:1 ratio positive to negative.

For the record, the approval rating of the Wind seems statistically about the same, perhasp fractionally worse.

rjm, Aug 7, 2008
  15. kbbk

hmmwv

The A1's keyboard is a lot smaller than Wind's, but surprisingly it's well spaced and I have no problem touch type on it. I like the placement of Fn and Shift keys.

hmmwv, Aug 15, 2008
  16. kbbk

Davidcowling

im holding out for an AA1, but i could just drive 5 mins to PC world and get an advent 4211...

nah.

Davidcowling, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question