Advantages over Windows?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by PingPongCall, Dec 13, 2015.

?

Windows 10 or the latest Ubuntu build

1. Windows 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ubuntu

100.0%
  1. PingPongCall

PingPongCall

I have the latest release of Ubuntu download and stored on a flash drive but I'm scared to implement it on my computer. I've only been briefly exposed to Linux in the past while I was in school and from what I was shown it didn't look all that different form Windows XP at the time. I feel like what i was shown though was some pretty advanced usage, because other times when i see Linux in use, it looks very basic.

So my question is this, What would be the advantages of using Ubuntu over windows 8 for a person who doesn't care much about what a computer can do outside of running high end games and using Microsoft word? Is it even worth making the switch?

PingPongCall, Dec 13, 2015
  2. PingPongCall

Brian8gbSSDLinux

For a start... 'High end Games'... much depends on just what you 'call' high end games.

Ubuntu itself... is 'like' Windows... it is ONLY an Operating System (OS)

Gaming depends on 'Apps' running in Ubuntu... e.g. Steam...

I haven't tried installing Steam in the latest Ubuntu... as I use a 'Fork' or splinter of Ubuntu called Linux Lite

Linux Lite 'looks' like Win XP - deliberately - so people can get acclimatized quickly...

IT ALSO has a built in link to Steam, so I KNOW it can be EASILY installed into Linux Lite.

Linux Lite is also less than 800 Mb - well below the massive download of Ubuntu with the Unity Loader.

If you use unetbootin-windows-613.exe (google unetbootin for more info) to install Linux Lite on an USB Pen Drive, you can set it up with a 500 Mb Persistence folder which means you can run, install things, close down and then run Linux Lite again AND still have the installed programs - meaning you do not HAVE to install it on the computer therefore NOT Risk losing Windows on your computer (a 'normal' Live USB Pendrive WITHOUT persistence will forget installed programs and set up changes that were made)...

Hope this is helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 14, 2015
  3. PingPongCall

PingPongCall

Okay, so if I have it set up on a flash drive can I boot up into it from windows or do I need to restart the computer and boot from the USB drive?

PingPongCall, Dec 14, 2015
  4. PingPongCall

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Set your computer to boot from the USB port... If there is nothing in there, it will automatically start Windows.

If the Linux USB Pendrive is IN a USB port - it will automatically boot into Linux...

To make sure you do not accidentally overwrite your Windows Installation - I RECOMMEND that you delete the Linux Icon that says Install Linux... (There will be an option to Install Linux in the Menu's somewhere else so the Icon isn't needed!)

In fact by using different 'Live' USB Pen drives is how you can try different versions of Linux without loosing your Windows installation...

Booting from a Pen drive will be most likely be slower than booting from the Hard Drive... AFTER finding out how well you get on with Linux... you could either install Linux by Dual Booting with Windows OR - INSTEAD - of Windows - or even reformat the Pen Drive and use it for something else (in Windows of course !)

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 15, 2015
  5. PingPongCall

ProNine

I do not like Windows 10 so I would go with Ubuntu if that's what you're aiming at. However, in comparison between Ubuntu and Windows in general, I would be lost because I like both. I run Windows on my laptop but have my copy of Ubuntu on my USB at all times. It's really helpful in some cases where I need to "unshackle my computer and go down some dangerous routes".

ProNine, Dec 24, 2015
Ask a Question