Advantages of Vista over XP?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by hmmwv, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hmmwv

hmmwv

I dual boot xp and vista for a couple of months now and from my limited experience I noticed the following areas:

* Better power management (AA1 under Vista does not necessarily use less power, but it seems to be running cooler)
    * Pleasant GUI
    * Built in security features
    * Stability
    * Better integrated driver base (BT, mouse, etc), I guess this area various among users
    * The ability to use ReadyBoost (good feature but no deal breaker)
    * Better disk management

I'm in a position that I have better use for my copy of Vista, so I'm thinking about going back to XP. My question is, does Vista really improve battery life for the AA1? I tried to compare the two but I haven't seen any difference. Do you guys think Vista is good enough to justify using Vista over XP?

hmmwv, Nov 5, 2008
  2. hmmwv

Mopeto

Vista cape the use of the CPU by default when running on battery to 50%, this is what make the life of the battery longer using vista but I actualy want the 100% on battery, so you just could make one preset for mobility and better batery [50%cpu, no Aero Glass, etc] and another for full capacity use to use in power line or battery.

Mopeto, Nov 6, 2008
  3. hmmwv

Kenzyh

Well I installed Vista Ultimate x86, since I had one free license for that. I have modified my A110 with 60GB Toshiba 1.8" HDD and 1GB extra memory. Vista runs SMOOTH, way smoother than XP did, the integrated security features make the OS run faster since I had to use several 3rd party applications in XP for doing the things that Vista does out of the box. Drivers work fine, and I use 8GB Transcend SD card for Readyboost. Windows expreciende index is 2.7, which is caused by the GPU. The processor comes second with it's 3.0 score. One big negative thing in Vista is the space required for a fresh install. I have a 20GB partition for Vista, there's ~7GB free, but if I go Hibernate or sth, it'll take several gigabytes more. In a nutshell, I'm totally pleased with this, and I'll never go back to XP :p

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in XP the best battery time I reached (according to the battery meter) was 2h15min, in Vista I've had 3h5min with the Power saver-scheme. I consider that as a huge improvement.

Oh, and the WLAN speed. I have a Western Digital MyBookWorld network drive connected to my WLAN router. Under XP I had transfer speed to the drive maximum 1800kB/s, under Vista the average transfer speed is 2700kB/s.

Kenzyh, Nov 16, 2008
  4. hmmwv

Modred189

-superfetch should make a few programs load faster
    -better multithreading should allow for better multitasking (I've noticed a difference for sure)

Modred189, Dec 3, 2008
  5. hmmwv

transfrmr

I've been pretty happy with Vista overall on my One

App launch times are actually faster than XP (admittedly mostly for newer apps which take advantage of the OS), memory usage seems to be better when not running fluff like Aero (which I run anyways unless I'm doing something that I want a lot of CPU for). The built-in security is definitely a big plus, and I definitely appreciate the Vista GUI. I've found power management to be better overall in Vista, as long as I don't kick it into High Performance on the battery. I tend to do that anyways though, but the new 7200Mah battery gives me 8.25 hours of power under High Performance, which I can live with, and the 3 cell does fine when I want the lighter weight :) I also like Media Center, which I really didn't think i'd be running on my Aspire, but it works quite well, once I get my USB TV Tuner in, my Aspire will most likely end up doubling as a second "Tivo" and media PC.

One thing that isn't a factor at all is Readyboost, most of the resources out there (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2160 and http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... page=0%2C3 for example) don't really show significant performance gains with Readyboost if you have 1gb of RAM or more. I've got 1gb in mine for now, and have run some benchmarks using a 4gb USB Kingston Datatraveller 400 and found that overall the performance decreases slightly in most instances. Since I'm not seeing a gain, I really don't use it. I've also tried using a high-speed 8gb Sandisk SD card for Readyboost, and got more or less the same results. Are you actyally seeing performance gains from your 8gb readyboost config, if so, what are you using?

I've run Vista on some pretty bare-bones systems, just to see, and overall have been pretty happy with it. The pros outweight the cons for me. I guess the real question is how much would you benefit form using your copy of Vista in the other application.

transfrmr, Jan 13, 2009
  6. hmmwv

Jerm78

I'm probably in the minority on this but I really prefer a spartan, utilitarian look to my OS. I always set everything to "classic" or "standard" style. I don't care for the circular buttons, rounded edges, transparent forms, fading effects, etc. (though I do like drop shadows and ClearType). Give me plain ol' gray rectangles and instant responsiveness. I have one laptop that came preloaded with Vista and only after I disabled all the fancy stuff and made it look pretty much like Windows 98 did I start to like it. Anyone else out there like me? Or am I just getting old? Haha :lol:

Jerm78, Jan 13, 2009
  7. hmmwv

frandu

Hello guys,

anyone here actually tried to install vista on 8GB SSD and 512k? I was thinking about what people wrote, but.... I guess it'll be needed plenty of tweaking. Anyone can tell the experience?

Cheers!

frandu, Jan 13, 2009
  8. hmmwv

maltloaf

vista ran much nicer than xp on my aao150/120GB/1.5GB

im not talking anything measurable, it just feels better..

having said that though, windows 7 runs better than them both

maltloaf, Jan 13, 2009
  9. hmmwv

frandu

Hello guys,

I will try again the question, because today I am downloading a image of a vlited Vista. Is it possible to work with Windows Vista with the Aspire One 110 with only 512Ram? Maybe if I try the EWF? Does anyone uses Vista withe the 110?

Cheers!

frandu, Jan 14, 2009
  10. hmmwv

maltloaf

vista will be useless on 512MB ram, fact

maltloaf, Jan 14, 2009
  11. hmmwv

transfrmr

I second that. Think Windows XP with 96 megs of RAM. It will work, as long as all ou want to really do is play solitaire. Before you go upgrading to Vista, I'd upgade the RAM situation.

Readyboost actually does have an impact with only 512mb RAM, but even with 4gb dedicated to ReadyBoost, you'd be better off running the Linux distro of choice. Heck, even with 1 gb of RAM in mine, I still have Backtrack on a USB drive for when I want to shed the GUI and really get the most out of the Aspire.

transfrmr, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question