advantages of using XP Vlite

Discussion in 'Windows' started by snox01, Jan 6, 2009.

1. snox01

snox01

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using xp vlite compared to a full xp install. As far as I know is that the vlite takes up less room.

If you can give me some good reasons that make a impact on performance I will be getting vlite.

snox01, Jan 6, 2009
  2. snox01

nmesisca

its actually nLite. vLite is for Vista.
    the size of the installed OS can be reduced quite a bit, if you're careful with what you remove you will get the feeling the OS is snappier and more responsive. you can integrate the service pack (as opposed to installing it later on, this saves TONS of space) and all your drivers. If you're a bit like me, and reinstall every few months, you can create a media for XP deployment that will allow you to be ready to go in 20-25 minutes. You can also integrate applications (addons as nlite calls them) such as Java, DirectX, and lots of 3rd party apps (freeware) that have been packed into addons. You can also create your own addons to be integrated with nLite, it is well documented and quite easy to do.
    You can patch the OS installation so that the disk space limit and memory limits wont apply to your installation, patch the TCPIP.SYS to allow for more connections, patch Uxtheme to install different themes..
    Im a big fan of nLite/vLite, and have used it for the past few years on ALL my machines. It can be tricky and require a bit of testing initially to understand what you need/want to get rid of, but has huge benefits if used properly.
    Hope this helps.
    N

nmesisca, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question