Adobe Flash = SLOW?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by MandyMarieB, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB

So I doubt I'm the only one with this issue. I have Adobe Flash Player, since it's fairly mandatory for a lot of things. But it loves to slow down my computer/crash ALL the time while I'm on the internet! (Firefox AND Chrome.) I get the "Not responding, Continue or Stop" pop-up error constantly when Flash starts to suck up my CPU. (And oh, it does. It likes to have multiple processes running, too.)

Anyone found a good fix for this? I'm so tired of losing things and having my computer crawling at a snail pace. :(

MandyMarieB, Sep 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. MandyMarieB

sparkster

In all of my years in computing (which is a lot), I have never found a successful solution to this problem. In all honesty, Flash has always been unreliable, unstable and generally fairly useless and yet you need it - even websites now rely on it. Flash Player, in my opinion, is the single most problematic piece of software that has ever been created for Windows. It's also not secure and can be exploited easily. Does anyone know why Flash is no longer supported by Android?

sparkster, Sep 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. MandyMarieB

Sefie

Well, I don't know if you are aware guys, but a lot browsers have stopped working with flash. I mean, even the iPhone won't allow Adobe flash. It seems more and more companies don't want to have anything to do with flash. Firefox has completely blocked flash as well... and for a good reason.

Sefie, Sep 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

I am using my MacBook, and stupid Adobe flash is needed on many websites that I am working on. I sincerely hate it as when the Adobe flash is on, it sucks out my battery and makes my laptop hot so fast, that I have to tick it off and try to get by.

I hope that this problem is fixed soon, and all websites stop using flash.

IcyBC, Sep 28, 2015
  5. MandyMarieB

Sefie

Oh no :( That sounds awful, I had no idea mac users were still forced to work with Flash! It surprises me, because as far as I know a lot sites and browsers are blocking it. If I'm not mistaken the video player on YouTube is now HTML5 based.

Sefie, Sep 28, 2015
  6. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB

There are unfortunately a lot of things that still need Flash. :( A lot of online games need it, and quite a few movie players. And I know that whenever my Flash crashes, it tends to affect my Youtube as well. So not sure if that's just because I USE Flash, or what. But it still causes issues for me. :(

MandyMarieB, Sep 28, 2015
  7. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

I think it depends on the websites that still need flash to function! For examples, picmonkey.com and pixlr.com still are using flash when I need to do some photo editing! When I am done using these sites, I usually just ticked it off in my preference. It is a bother, but I want to reserve my battery life so I don't have to plug it in all the time.

IcyBC, Sep 30, 2015
  8. MandyMarieB

Sefie

@IcyBC I absolutely love picmonkey.com! It's one of the best free online photo editing softwares ever =D I wonder what they are going to do once flash is banned for good, because it seems that is what's going to happen eventually. I'm glad you have found a solution to your problem =D

Sefie, Oct 1, 2015
  9. MandyMarieB

Sefie

That is odd, because as far as I know YouTube has definitely dropped flash player for HTML5: https://www.youtube.com/html5 What browser are you using, Firefox? I stopped using Firefox, because I still have flash installed ;) I noticed it started to crash so badly with almost everything. So now I am on Chrome! By the way, I love flash games, I thought it was crazy they decided to drop flash, but I do understand why they did it... the security risks were big.

Sefie, Oct 1, 2015
  10. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

I hope it will be obsolete soon especially when it slows people's work flow down, and in my case sucking the juice out of my battery. Wonder if that was normal! I don't need it though when youtube is playing, and luckily I don't play games.

IcyBC, Oct 2, 2015
  11. MandyMarieB

Sefie

@IcyBC Yeah, I hope they come up with a better replacement for things like flash games and the like, just like they did with HTML5. YouTube now uses a HTML5 player as their only player. I tried to use Firefox the other day and boy did it keep crashing and so slow. I think that's because some sites are not catching up with banning flash.

Sefie, Oct 2, 2015
  12. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

I always wonder why we need flash and still have to have java on our computers. Since switching from Window to MacBook, I noticed the flash is a terrible thing to have on my laptop. I really have no problem with it or didn't notice it before on my Window! By the way, I took my HP laptop to have it service, and the person told me, my hard drive is fried! It won't even turn on anymore :(

IcyBC, Oct 6, 2015
  13. MandyMarieB

Sefie

@IcyBC Oh my god, no! So that means you won't be able to recover those pictures you told me about? I'm so sorry to hear that, mind reminding me how your hard drive got fried again? It had something to do with a fan, right?

Sefie, Oct 6, 2015
  14. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

Everything on my HP laptop is gone! Luckily, I did save a few things on my external hard drive and my son has a Toshiba so I will be able to plug my hard drive to his and get my stuffs to a flash drive to use with my MacBook.

I am not sure how the hard dried got fried, but before all the troubles, I experienced over-heating problem, and used CCleaner too often, I think it had something to do with it. I didn't buy extra coverage, so now I have one more relic in the house :)

IcyBC, Oct 8, 2015
  15. MandyMarieB

Sefie

@IcyBC I'm glad to read you did save some stuff! I think it's really odd how that happened... do you think it has something to do with the fact the laptop was an HP one? I'm not familiar with them, but I've heard some bad things about that brand. When your old laptop did overheat.. did it turn itself off to prevent further damage?

Sefie, Oct 8, 2015
  16. MandyMarieB

IcyBC

My first laptop lasted me 7 years before it suffered the overheating problem, but never got to the point of turning itself off. Not sure if it is the brand, but I think it is a common problem. I never did use CCleaner on that laptop. My second HP I did, and it also suffered from overheating problem by the second year. They don't make anything last longer than a couple of years nowadays.

IcyBC, Oct 10, 2015
  17. MandyMarieB

Sefie

Oh no! So your HP laptop didn't turn itself off? No wonder the hard disk fried o_O I'm glad you were unharmed, because I have heard that there is nothing more dangerous than using a laptop that over heats, because that lithium battery can have a really nasty reaction D: My Toshiba always turned itself off, it was annoying, but looking back i am glad it did!

Sefie, Oct 11, 2015
Ask a Question