Adding USB to serial adaptor - PL2303

Discussion in 'Linux' started by larkim, May 6, 2009.

1. larkim

larkim

I have an aten uc232a USB to serial adaptor that I use successfully on my Windows PC to communicate with a Garmin Etrex GPSr. I'd like to use this with the AAO.

I read here ( http://frl1nux.blogspot.com/2008/09/ace ... l2303.html ) that this is possible, but before I mess this all up I'd like just to check what I'm doing!

As I understand it, I just download the file (as described), put it in the right location (as described), run depmod -a (presumably as root?) and then "load it up". What is that likely to mean? Does that mean plug in the USB / serial adaptor? Will I have to issue a command each time I want it plugging in, or will the device drivers be permanently loaded from now on?

Any help gratefully received!

Matt

larkim, May 6, 2009
  2. larkim

Japser

Yes. ( also putting the file in it's location needs root's 'authority' )
    ( I think the location is not critical, as long as it is in that tree under /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/...., then the command depmod will find it and register it with the system. You will not see any output of that command. )

Yes.

The module will be loaded automatically.
    Use the command 'dmesg' to see what happens.

--Japser.

Japser, May 6, 2009
  3. larkim

larkim

Thanks Jasper.

Followed instructions last night and dmesg reports that the device is plugged in and working. Didn't get chance to test functionality, but looks good so far.

Thanks again!

Matt

larkim, May 7, 2009
Ask a Question