Adding switch, help please

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Niiru, May 29, 2009.

1. Niiru

Niiru

Ok, my plan is to do the following mod (shown is a different laptop obviously):

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/how-pow ... witch.html

I will be adding an extra stick of RAM to the AA1 while im doing this, so it will already be taken apart up to that point.

If possible, could anyone take a picture of the power button location on the motherboard? I think I know which bit it is, but I just wanted to double check.

My main problem, is where to wire up the other end of the wires. I would rather not drill a new hole, and put in a new female stereo jack, as the netbook is going to be very hard to drill into!
    I was hoping that I could wire the ends up to the existing microphone jack point, as I am not likely to be using that at all. Can anyone tell me if the microphone jack wiring is easily(ish) accessible? Or am I going to have to wire it up somewhere else?

I really hope you guys can help. I have just got myself my AA1, and I hope to be an active member here in future :)

Niiru, May 29, 2009
  2. Niiru

jerryt

The power switch is a tactile switch mounted on the daughter board just above the "Kensington Lock Slot".

I would add two wires to the power switch and wire to a stereo 1/8'' phono jack in the Kensington lock slot.

jerryt, May 29, 2009
  3. Niiru

Niiru

Would it be easy to attach a stereo jack port to the kensington lock slot?

If this is the easiest solution then I'm fine with it :)

edit: Ahh yes I see what you mean. Would I need to remove/move the daughter board in order to get to the lock slot? Assuming this isnt any harder than removing the rest of the equipment to get to the RAM slots, I think I can manage it.

Niiru, May 29, 2009
  4. Niiru

jerryt

Nothing is easy (except the memory upgrade), It depends on whether you can get the 1/8' phono jack to fit in that small space?

Every place inside the AAO is very tight for space.

Another location is on the right side between the mic jack and the front of the case. I have mounted an external antenna connector there.

jerryt, May 29, 2009
  5. Niiru

Niiru

How small is the space? The hole on the outside of the laptop might be a bit small, but I can widen that easily enough. How much internal space is there for the jack?

If I was going to be getting to the bit of the board next to the mic jack point, surely I might as well just *use* the mic jack as my point, and wire up to that? Like I said, I dont need a microphone. Unless the mic jack is encased somehow and isnt accessible?

Niiru, May 29, 2009
  6. Niiru

jerryt

The Mic jack is soldered in from the bottom, you would have to unsolder, isolate the connections from the cicuit board and re-install. TOO much work.

Just get the smallest phono jack you can find and go about mounting in one of the two locations previously noted.

jerryt, May 29, 2009
  7. Niiru

Niiru

Thanks :) I will try my best. The lock slot seems like the best idea, especially is it will involve a lot less drilling hopefully :p

Niiru, May 29, 2009
Ask a Question