Added 1GB of memory, problem occured

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Jez, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Jez

ptechno

I have succesfully upgraded my One to 1.5gb of RAM! One try and it worked!
    The guide is not too good, sincerelly. The part about the keyboard is not very well explained.

ptechno, Jul 29, 2008
  2. Jez

denz_h

For all inquiring about the Kingston module

Yes. The technician did say that Kingston modules may damage the motherboard. I didn't want to take any risks so I bought transcend instead.

denz_h, Jul 31, 2008
  3. Jez

Iluvatar

Had the same problem you had with my Corsaid 667 MHz 1GB. I think I opened and checked all the connections about 5-6 times, and finally I found out that the blue cable with "MB" written on it (not sure what it connects though) wasn't connected properly, The problem is that it isn't too easy to see whether it's properly connected or not.

It's working now, after I got it all connected properly :D

Iluvatar, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Jez

Mark83

I have installed Kingston RAM yesterday and no problems yet. I can't imagine that it could damage my motherboard

Mark83, Aug 2, 2008
  5. Jez

Sid

There are a few reports that PNY ram will not work in the One, I wondered if anyone has successfully used the 1gb PC2-4300 DDR2 533mhz unit that is on sale at PC world in the UK (the pack is marked http://www.pny.eu). There are a few of these 1gig units at silly prices in the dealer chain - about £13.

Hoping that someone has had some success.

Sid, Aug 2, 2008
  6. Jez

Kaos2K

Kaos2K, Aug 3, 2008
  7. Jez

Sid

Earlier I asked ...
    Well I decided to buy the ram (at a good price) guess what, it works perfectly.

So to those who were worried about buying PNY ram, don't be.

Sid, Aug 3, 2008
  8. Jez

narticulate

any word on Crucial memory? its on sale at BUY DOT COM

narticulate, Aug 5, 2008
  9. Jez

Davidcowling

the mobo doesnt underclock 667mhz memory and loads of people have had problems with kingston stuff.

my recommendation would be crucial or corsair 533mhz

Davidcowling, Aug 5, 2008
  10. Jez

glibdud

Quit spreading that unless you have something to back it up. I've seen far more reports of success with 667MHz RAM than failures. In fact, I can only remember one failure. If you can find more, please link them.

glibdud, Aug 5, 2008
  11. Jez

krizze

Damn, guess I should have waited, and read this thread :( Added a kingston 1gb module, it worked for around a week, but now my A1 is dead.
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903

krizze, Aug 6, 2008
  12. Jez

SNOboy

after doing some reading on the atom cpu i think alot of these problems are from using 667 ram, the cpu is a new breed and has alot of low power commands. timing is a big issue with this cpu and running on a fine line, thats how they get away with fanless cpu's. The fan on my intel board that uses the atom 250 1.6mhz cpu is actually on the northbridge chip not on the cpu i will have to open up the One to see if its the same which i think it is. they clearly state that the required ram is 533mhz and not anymore. I think the chipset does not drop the 667 ram speed down to the lower 533mhz. Also if you look at the specs of the atom cpu you will see it has even more thermo protection than normal cpu's and will shut down cpu to protect at high temp or if there is a problem on the fsb.

This is from Intel
    The processor has only one signaling mode, where the data and address busses and
    the strobe signals are operating in GTL mode. The reason to use GTL is to improve
    signal integrity.

The processor supports two kinds of signalling protocol: Complementary Metal Oxide
    Semiconductor (CMOS), and Advanced Gunning Transceiver Logic (AGTL+). For FSB
    data and address bus, only AGTL+ is used.
    The termination voltage level for the processor CMOS and AGTL+ signals is
    VTT = 1.10 V (nominal).

***Due to speed improvements to data and address bus, signal
    integrity and platform design methods have become more critical than with previous
    processor families.***

The CMOS sideband signals are listed in Table 6.
    The AGTL+ inputs, including the sideband signals listed in Table 6, require a reference
    voltage (GTLREF) that is used by the receivers to determine if a signal is a logical 0 or
    a logical 1. GTLREF must be generated on the system board. Termination resistors are
    provided on the processor silicon and are terminated to its I/O voltage (VTT). The
    appropriate chipset will also provide on-die termination; thus, eliminating the need to
    terminate the bus on the system board for most AGTL+ signals.
    The AGTL+ bus depends on incident wave switching. Timing calculations for AGTL+
    signals are based on flight time as opposed to capacitive deratings. Analog signal
    simulation of the FSB, including trace lengths, is highly recommended when designing
    a system. Just my 2 cents, SNO

SNOboy, Aug 11, 2008
  13. Jez

number78

Well, I tried Kingston 667Mhz yesterday. I got one pseudo-boot, but in the bios, the top line of every field flashed on & off. So I reseated RAM, put back together, and A1 wouldn't boot. Just fan on, fan off. Took out RAM, worked. Put RAM back in, didn't work.

So i'm getting some A-Data 533Mhz soon, and try that. But I can definetly say Kingston 667 Didn't Work!

(Also PXE comes up if no other boot device found, I.e. SSD is unplugged)

number78, Aug 12, 2008
  14. Jez

iDq

iDq, Aug 17, 2008
  15. Jez

iDq

A 667 MHz memory should work at 533 MHz (FSB speed). I think.

iDq, Aug 17, 2008
  16. Jez

glibdud

I'm sure those numbers assume that the RAM is running at full speed. Since it would be running at 533MHz in the A1, its power consumption will likely be closer to that of the 533 stick in practice.

glibdud, Aug 18, 2008
  17. Jez

iDq

Not necessarily, Ithink, different memory chips -> differents power requeriments (an absurd ;) but clarifier example [I think]: you can set the frequency of a Pentium III to 25 MHz and the power consumption will be different than a Pentium II operating at same frequency).

Samsung modules operating at the same frequency have different power requeriments. You can check it here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/syste...2953EZ3/ds_512mb_e_die_based_sodimm_rev14.pdf

Note: obviously all the modules works under the same voltage: 1.8 v (DDR-II spec.)

EDIT: I also think that the power consumption will likely be closer to the 533 module.

iDq, Aug 18, 2008
  18. Jez

glibdud

Sure, they're not going to be exact, but judging by the fact that the model numbers are so similar, I'm sure the chips used are very similar as well.

Years ago I read that often, different speeds of RAM from the same manufacturer might contain the same electronics... the difference being that one run might be more stable at high speeds than another due to tolerances, so they test and label each stick accordingly. Don't know if that's true anymore (or really if it was ever true in the first place), but that's sort of what I'm basing my guess on.

Sounds like we mostly agree on the conclusion, though.

glibdud, Aug 18, 2008
  19. Jez

Thomas8675309

Just an update - I've now been using my Aspire One with the extra Kingston 1GB DDR2 533 stick installed for over a month with pretty heavy use. Not a single problem so far. Price is now down below $20 in the U.S.

Thomas8675309, Aug 19, 2008
  20. Jez

thewtex

I had the same problem, and I purchased Kingston memory, so I was pretty discouraged when I came across this this thread. However, I reseated the SSD ribbon, which is quite tricky, and it seems to be working fine.

thewtex, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question