Acronis True Image on AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rowantree, Oct 7, 2008.

1. rowantree

rowantree

Been following the threads on USB backups with interest.

My own cunning plan was as follows but it doesn't work and wondered if anyone had any ideas exactly why not...

On a Windows PC from within Acronis True Image make a bootable disk on a USB key.

Make the AAO boot from that key into Acronis. That bit worked.

Plug in another USB key onto which to make the drive image.

So we've got a boot key and somewhere to copy the AAO disk image onto.

Create Image in Acronis. At this point it pops up something like can't find any hard drives. Huh?

Anyone got any ideas? I've used Acronis to restore Windows onto new disks etc and it struck me I don't see why I couldn't do the same with the AAO, hence cunning plan. My understanding - though it might be wrong - is the boot key is OS independent since it sits in RAM and serves to just let you execute some commands outside an OS so it shouldn't matter I made it on Windows to run on a Linux box. And since it ran OK up until that point I think this is right.

rowantree, Oct 7, 2008
  2. rowantree

ste

me too i cant solved the problem to do a image of my system now, that it works very well!!
    I have a pen drive 2gb

ste, Oct 7, 2008
  3. rowantree

rbil

I was just as cunning as you and tried it. :) For some reason TI doesn't see the SSD drive. Go figure! I've used TI rescue CDs to backup Linux boxes before and it works very well. Why it can't see the SSD drive is beyond me.

The script that I wrote that gets installed on a sysrescuecd image works and ends up being even easier to use than using TI once one gets the flash key/external hard drive prepared.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  4. rowantree

rowantree

Hey rbil,

I don't have an SSD... I've got the 120GB HD so doesn't look like it's the kind of drive that's causing it. :roll:

At the point I'm going to Create Image it can see both USB keys but the HD seems to be invisible to TI. Weird.

Be good if someone knows the answer to this because this would be far and away the easiest way of maintaining the machine.

I might send off the question to Acronis. Probably get ignored mind you, but worth a pop I guess.

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Oct 7, 2008
  5. rowantree

rbil

Well that's very interesting. I assumed you were talking about a SSD drive and that TI had a problem specifically with that drive. Very strange that it won't see a regular hard drive. So, like you say, there must be some more fundamental underlying reason for this problem. Maybe it doesn't recognize the IDE interface at all?

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  6. rowantree

hpfx

For your information,
    I managed to integrate TI v9.5 "server" onto the UBCD (ultimate boot cd, see their forum for "how to")
    It works very well with my AAO 110 (SSD)
    I backuped the whole SSD (incl swap partition btw) to an external USB HD.

be carefull it took time (about 1 hour) out of the box, the tib file is about 1.5Gb

hpfx, Oct 31, 2008
  7. rowantree

rowantree

Hi,

Can you point me at a link for this? I can't find it anywhere and have downloaded UBCD and it's not on board.

Many thanks,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Nov 19, 2008
  8. rowantree

derek.smith

That's quite interesting - with an earlier version of TI (7.x)than I use now (9.x), I found that the standalone version on CD wouldn't recognise my wife's SATA drive. The later version is OK - that is the reason I got the newer version.
    The HDD on the AAO is SATA, and Ive used TI therefore to do my backups to an external HDD.

derek.smith, Nov 27, 2008
  9. rowantree

hpfx

from UBCD website page --> forum/mailing-list --> how-to, and that's here.
    direct link is http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=855

hpfx, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question