Acrobat Reader doesn't open documents

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Foxy_Scott, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Foxy_Scott

Foxy_Scott

Whenever I try to open a document either through a PDF URL on Firefox or direct from my documents I get the Adobe licence screen that I have to accept. I accept the licence and then..........nothing! Any ideas? I've downloaded an alternative document viewer but there is no plugin for Firefox.

Foxy_Scott, Jan 11, 2009
  2. Foxy_Scott

markh

Can't help you with acrobat, but as a workaround, go to preferences/applications in firefox, and change pdf document to use your reader. (That's with 3.05 - if you've got FF 2, the menus may be different)

markh, Jan 11, 2009
  3. Foxy_Scott

grwkak

Happened to me a while back - not sure why. If I remember correctly, I tried to uninstall then reinstall adobe reader - failed. Then installed evince instead and mozplugger. This allowed pdf files to be opened using evince. Both can be found in add/remove software with the unlocked desktop.

Guy

grwkak, Jan 12, 2009
  4. Foxy_Scott

markh

Interesting idea Guy. I've now installed mozplugger and it's showing up in firefox. Pdf's are assigned to be opened with it in prefs. I already have evince, and that's listed in /etc/mozpluggerrc. However, it's not working! Did you have to do anything else?

markh, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Foxy_Scott

Foxy_Scott

marh,

I've installed evince. Whats the path to set evince up in Mozillas preferences?

Cheers

Foxy_Scott, Jan 16, 2009
  6. Foxy_Scott

markh

Scott: /usr/bin/evince (you're in preferences/applications in firefox, I'm guessing?)

Guy: If you can say how you got mozplugger to work, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I've found I need to give the full path to evince in /etc/mozpluggerrc, at which point it works erratically, but only launches into a new evince window, not into firefox, which is the behaviour you can get from adding evince directly. According to the man pages, the correct parameter is being used to imbed it, so I'm stuck again.

markh, Jan 16, 2009
  7. Foxy_Scott

Foxy_Scott

You guessed right cheers. :D

I've had the same luck with Mozplugger as you.

Foxy_Scott, Jan 17, 2009
  8. Foxy_Scott

grwkak

From what I remember I did use the Mozplugger man pages - somewhere in there it told me how to add applications. Sorry I can't be much more help, since then I wiped my machine clean and reinstalled Linpus.

grwkak, Jan 17, 2009
  9. Foxy_Scott

markh

Thanks. From the man pages, it's the swallow command that ought to open the window within firefox - and it doesn't. So either evince isn't cooperating, or there's some issue with how I'm doing the command. I'm afraid my linux knowledge girnds to an ignominious halt at this point. At least evince is working.

markh, Jan 17, 2009
  10. Foxy_Scott

matspenc

With the help of a friend who is a UNIX whiz, I've managed to get Acrobat Reader to start successfully.

He used the following commands...
    cd /home/user/.adobe
    sudo chown -R user Acrobat
    sudo chgrp -R user Acrobat

This fixes the problem that Acrobat cannot write a preference file which seems to stop it starting up.

Cheers
    Matthew

matspenc, Feb 5, 2009
  11. Foxy_Scott

whittaker52

Thank you for the tip on how to fix the issue! its been really annoying me since I installed adobe reader from the offical updates page.

Thanks again,
    Oliver :)

whittaker52, Feb 5, 2009
  12. Foxy_Scott

sleeper597

thanks Matt been trying to find a solution for that probelm for ages .
    cheers
    Steve

sleeper597, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question