Acer Warranty Concerns

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by town.clerk, Nov 28, 2009.

1. town.clerk

town.clerk

Why I am so disappointed with Acer:

My wife bought a Acer Netbook D150 from Costco in May. Great it came with 2 years warranty. Not so in reality as last week the screen went on the blink, lots of coloured vertical lines on a blank grey screen. Costco told me to send it to Acer Support at Plymouth. After 2 days, Acer's customer support phoned me and arrogantly said the screen was damaged and the warranty would not cover it. No argument they said and they will either send it back or I can be sent their estimate. I said how come a screen can get damaged as my wife really looks after it, keeps it in a protective case and it was sent with mountains of bubble wrap. I think Acer are trying it on, having read other posts on this forum. I now await their estimate to replace the screen and will keep you all updated as my wife is really angry. They don't know what's coming when she phones.

Do Acer really offer a full warranty or do they make a business by making all these so called exclusions? I thought they made quality products but this experience has put me off.

town.clerk, Nov 28, 2009
  2. town.clerk

town.clerk

Acer must have the world's worst customer service. Although we gave them the go ahead, most reluctantly, to pay £110 and have the screen replaced they have now unbelievably lost the netbook. All their staff have been rude to my wife and myself, arrogant and quite lacking in any respect for us as their clients. I am convinced that Acer warranty support is outsourced to a third rate business whose primary role is to deny any liability. In my mind Acer has probably grown so quickly they simply cannot cope with the sheer volume of returns. In the hope they eventually repair it, we shall pursue what is a trivial case against them in the small claims court for the costs of repair and hours of telephone calls. Does anyone know the contact details of their CEO? Regards, Alan.

town.clerk, Dec 7, 2009
  3. town.clerk

town.clerk

There is just no ending to the scale of Acer's incompetence. We hope that Costco will replace the netbook. Fine but how do we retrieve it from Acer in Plymouth UK? Well guess what, I think they have now found it but as the repair has been declined by us, Acer want GBP50 to return it. We just cannot believe how they treat their customers! Costco are supportive, however, they listen in to the calls to Acer and keep transcript notes. Acer have really done it now as they were rude to Costcos as well and cut them off. How stupid is that.

So incensed about all of this is that I am going to copy this thread on to as many UK consumer sites to alert other unsuspecting buyers of a Acer Netbook with their so called warranty. I have how also discovered from Reuters that their CEO is:

Mr H T Wang
    Acer Inc.
    7F, 137, Sector 2
    Chien Kuo North Road
    Taipei

On their web site, Acer pride themselves on their quality products and service to their valued clients. Let's all make sure we let him know what an incredible poor, worthless and truly lamentable after sales service they offer.

Or is it just me?

Alan

town.clerk, Dec 8, 2009
  4. town.clerk

JBenal

I've only had my AOA150 a few months and no problems. I don't know if you have Walmart on your side of the pond - though this may apply to Costco as well. I bought my Acer from Walmart and bought the extended warranty through Walmart, rather than Acer. It wasn't too expensive. I just hope I never have to use it!

JBenal, Dec 9, 2009
  5. town.clerk

town.clerk

Yes, I think it might well be worth looking into an extended warranty when buying a netbook in the future but do check the small print. I understand the John Lewis stores do their own repairs under warranty, no quibble. That's where we'll go next time.

Also take a photo of the screen BEFORE sending, to disprove Acer's allegations that the screen has been cracked. With hindsight that's what we should have done.

town.clerk, Dec 9, 2009
  6. town.clerk

town.clerk

Continued ... Acer have now found it at last, and having been pressurised by Costco over several days, Acer have decided to return it (without repairs), but at least it will be sent free of charge. That was last week but I am still waiting. I think it has been escalated in their offices as their supervisors are involved at last. No apologies though, they just don't understand the niceties of customer service.

town.clerk, Dec 17, 2009
  7. town.clerk

ltdanman44

I have used squaretrade for my other laptops warranties and have had no trouble with them. i got a 3 year warranty for 50 bucks. I plan on using them after my manuf warranty runs out next aug

www.squaretrade.com

ltdanman44, Jan 10, 2010
Ask a Question