Acer can make 2GB ram possible

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Jazzle, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Jazzle

Jazzle

A lot of us want to have 2GB in this little machine, I think this can be made possible.
    The MSI wind has an option in the bios to disable the builtin ram, if you disable this 512MB, you can put in a 2GB stick.

My problem is, how can I convince someone from Acer to built this in the bios?

Jazzle, Sep 3, 2008
  2. Jazzle

Candee14

they wont, you're better off trying to find a programmer to do it. why you ask, first off their warranty department doesnt honor one system that has memory upgrade, you ask why advertise it? they said it's not up to the techies. so they wouldnt come up with a bios to encourage people to take apart their well design one system to add memory and something break because they release the bios upgrade...you following me? :D

Candee14, Sep 4, 2008
  3. Jazzle

Spyder

Not to mention I thought that the board was only capable of recognizing a 1 Gb stick.

Spyder, Sep 4, 2008
  4. Jazzle

janss

I was under the impression that the chipset only supported 1 GB per slot

janss, Sep 4, 2008
  5. Jazzle

woverin

I guess we don't really care that much about acer limited warranty as long as we get 2gb memory upgrade.
    Most ppl here are willing to take apart thier AA1 just to get performance boost.

woverin, Sep 4, 2008
  6. Jazzle

dattaway

I found it interesting it will refuse to read any of a 2GB card. Back in the old days, if there was too much RAM, it only read the maximum number of address lines that were connected. Perhaps the RAM does overlap and a slight timing problem corrupts what is read. So a BIOS override might require a hardware circuit to disable connection to the offending RAM socket. I dunno...

dattaway, Sep 4, 2008
  7. Jazzle

Daijoubu

Does it even work with the MSI Wind once you disable the onboard RAM?
    If so, maybe we can mod the BIOS ourselves with all the tools avalaible online

Daijoubu, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question