Acer Aspire One ZG5 not working please help!!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by matt9329, Jul 2, 2011.

1. matt9329

matt9329

My acer Aspire One ZG5 will turn on, like I hit the power button and you can hear everything come on, but there is not display at all. I recently reformatted it from windows 7 to windows 7 because it was having problems, and when i turned it on, it did this problem. Did not even goto Acer BIOS screen upon startup. I am a very experienced PC tech for any kind of laptop/desktop and I still have no clue what this is. I figured there was a bad sector or something in the hard drive, so i dissasembled the laptop, plugged it into my desktop via SATA connector, and it did not show up. So I ordered a brand new hard drive for it, made sure it was a correct replacement of course, and decided to buy more RAM while I was at it. Only 1GB because that is the max it can hold. So when I got the parts in, i installed them correctly. Well, still same problem, can't even get up the BIOS screen to boot anything from so I can put an OS on it. I have dissasembled time and time again replacing memory with old, taking all the parts off of it including CPU fan, CMOS battery, everything. And left them out for a while and put them all back together... still same thing. PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THIS COULD BE!!

matt9329, Jul 2, 2011
  2. matt9329

shrimp

Hi - you may have solved your problem by now, but if not, I had the same problem with my ZG5, but was just using windows XP when it happened, so not sure if it will solve your windows 7 update problem.
    I found the following solution on the internet and it worked for me, except in No.2, the only BIOS update I could find was 3309.fd :-

ISSUE : Aspire One powers on but the screen remains blank

Updating the BIOS will require a USB flash drive to store the BIOS information on during the update. To perform the update to the BIOS:

1. Go here and download and extract the latest BIOS for the netbook.
    2. Rename the BIOS file from 3310.fd to zg5ia32.fd.
    3. Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive
    4. Ensure that the AC adapter is plugged in.
    5. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
    6. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together and press the power button.
    7. When the unit's power light comes on wait a few seconds and release the Fn and Esc keys.
    8. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
    9. During the BIOS update process the display will be blank.
    10. Let the unit run and after approximately 1 to 7 minutes, the unit should reboot and the BIOS will be updated.

If the unit fails to reboot, or the BIOS was not updated sucessfully, try the steps again.

Note: These instructions are only for the Acer Aspire One AOA-110 and the AOA-150 netbook series and should not be performed on any other model Acer Aspire One.

shrimp, Aug 27, 2011
Ask a Question