Acer Aspire One upgrade options

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Guest, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi I'm thinking of buying an acer aspire one. What I'm really after is a linux version with 120/160GB HDD, 1G RAM and 3G capability. I can't seem to find one at this spec (I can find one with the correct hardware but it's XP not linux) and was wondering:

- can an SSD unit be upgraded to a 120/160 HDD after purchase (ie. by me at home)?
    - likewise can the 3G interface be added by me?
    - finally, if I buy linux and don't get on with it can I upgrade to XP myself?

If I can upgrade myself, I might consider buying a cheaper SSD non 3G model and upgrading later.

Thanks for your help.
    DrS

Guest, Nov 27, 2008
  2. Guest

markh

Check out the Hardware hacks/mods forum for those people intrepid enough to rummage in the guts of their AAO. A very short use of the search function finds viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5974&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=3g+modem for 3G, and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1389 for HDD. So yes, it can be done, but you need to read up on it to make sure you'd be happy to do it.

And you can obviously change to XP in the normal way you would install any OS to a system. Of course, you could buy the XP version and install a linux disto on it instead, or dual-boot.

markh, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question