Acer Aspire One D150 no longer charging

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by josilber, Sep 11, 2013.

1. josilber

josilber

I'm having some trouble diagnosing a hardware issue with my Acer Aspire One D150, and I wanted to see if anyone on the forums could help identify which piece of hardware I need.

I hadn't booted my laptop for over a year, but I plugged it in, let it charge for about 10 minutes, and then turned it on. The laptop booted fine; it displayed the boot process on the screen and had a yellow power indicator (indicating the battery was charging).

After about 15 seconds (the desktop had just displayed), the laptop powered off. Now, the laptop will not power on (even with the battery removed and plugged into the wall), and the power light no longer lights up.

I tried with a new power adapter, but it still isn't getting power (the power light on the laptop doesn't light up). I did notice that the green light on the power adapter flickers on and off, which I read might indicate a short circuit.

I'm wondering what piece of hardware is the likely culprit for this issue. My guess is that I either need a new power jack or a new motherboard, but that's really no more than a guess.

josilber, Sep 11, 2013
  2. josilber

Nestone50

Assuming the 2nd power module you tried is good, it certainly sounds like a hardware problem. I have an AOA150 which I think is the same machine except yours has a 10" monitor. I know my netbook has a "daughter" board that incorporates the power jack. You have to do nearly a complete disassembly to get to it. Here is a link for disassembly. http://www.instructables.com/id/Acer-Aspire-One-A-Guide-to-Dismantling/
    So, if you feel comfortable taking the netbook apart, I'd give it a go. You can find used parts on eBay. I wouldn't expend too much money trying to get this machine running again. However, if the daughter board is the problem, it's a DIY cheap fix. While you are in there, you can change out the memory module. If you are showing one gig of memory, you can swap out the 512k stick for a one gig stick and maximize the memory to 1.5 gigs. Do not try to install a 2 gig stick as the maximum memory the CPU can use is 2 gigs and there is a 512k module soldered to the motherboard. If you put in a 2 gig stick, the netbook won't boot.
    My AOA 150 has turned out to be nearly indestructible. I have 1.5 gigs of RAM and is running Windows 7. I also use a 2 gig SD card dedicated to Ready Boost. It's my travel computer and has circled the globe many times. It's been a great machine for that purpose.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Nestone50, Sep 12, 2013
  3. josilber

josilber

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a sense of whether the motherboard, the power jack, or some other piece of hardware is the issue? I'd rather not buy a ton of replacement parts if I could figure out which piece of hardware is the culprit.

josilber, Sep 12, 2013
  4. josilber

Nestone50

Have you tried jiggling the the power jack in the receptacle? Try that and see if the power or charging light flickers. I know that my power module doesn't put out enough juice to both run the netbook and charge a completely discharged battery. In the past, I've had to let the battery charge for a couple of hours before booting the netbook. What happens when you attach the power module with the netbook turned off? Does the yellow charging light come on? If not, I'm guessing it's the power jack or daughter board, again, assuming your power module is working properly. You said that the netbook wouldn't boot with the power module plugged in and the battery removed so that rules out a bad battery cell shorting out the power.
    So, if you aren't getting any charging lights with the netbook off and the charger plugged in, the most likely culprit is the power jack if your battery is completely discharged. If you could find someone with a similar machine with a charged battery, you could borrow the battery and see if the netbook booted up. If it did, you know where the problem lies.

Nestone50, Sep 12, 2013
Ask a Question