Acer Aspire One 751h, missing second Mini PCI-e slot.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by mydemise, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mydemise

mydemise

So I bought this Netbook recently for fairly cheap on one of those 24hour sale websites. Not a bad purchase I think considering I only ended up paying $350 AUD for it including shipping. Either way, after receiving it this afternoon in the mail, the first thing I checked out was the expansion slots and to my surprise there was one missing... After discovering this I opened her up to see what the deal was, and as I suspected literally the second Mini PCI-e slot wasn't there.

[​IMG]

I am wondering as I have seen pictures of this Netbook with both expansion slots whether it's possible, even worth it to go about tracking down a Mini PCI-e slot and soldering it onto the board myself. I've read threads around the place of people doing similar things, so hopefully I'll be able to do the same.

Any info/advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

mydemise, Jan 14, 2010
  2. mydemise

brandl

i´m in the same situation...
    any ideias?

brandl, Mar 20, 2010
  3. mydemise

slammed87d21

Good luck if you try it. It is possible though. I'm an antique electronics restorer/repair guy by trade, so I had soldering irons and guns that were too hot. I had a couple pads lift trying to solder in the connector.

Just find a bad laptop with the connector, and use some desoldering solder on it.. That's what I did

slammed87d21, Apr 20, 2010
  4. mydemise

slammed87d21

Good luck if you try it. It is possible though. I'm an antique electronics restorer/repair guy by trade, so I had soldering irons and guns that were too hot. I had a couple pads lift trying to solder in the connector.

Just find a bad laptop with the connector, and use some desoldering solder on it.. That's what I did

slammed87d21, Apr 20, 2010
  5. mydemise

mydemise

I think the idea of getting an old laptop for cheap may be my best bet regarding this... I've spent a couple of nights scouring the internet for a suitable Mini PCI-e addapter/socket, but unfortunately it seems as though Acer have opted to use some "non-standard" foxconn branded socket with this version of the AAO751h. There was a guy selling spare 751h main boards on ebay a few weeks ago, although I wasn't prepared to spend an additional ~$150 just to get the PCI-e slot from it.

However, my search continues... and I will keep this thread updated if I ever happen to get around to doing this mod.

mydemise, Apr 20, 2010
  6. mydemise

slammed87d21

Check Craigslist and the like for bad laptop mobo's. The one I got was from an Acer Aspire 4720Z. From what I've read, with the mini pci-e slot is there are pretty much 2 versions, a short and a tall. All the Acer's I've seen were the tall, I believe. It was correct for my AOA150.

slammed87d21, Apr 21, 2010
Ask a Question