Acer Aspire internal 3G - service providers (UK)?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rexeh, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Rexeh

Rexeh

Hi,
    Just bought another AAO as I wanted to internal 3g, and it was a decent price.

All the mobile internet offers I see come with dongles, which obviously I don't need. I spoke to 3 about this, who said that I can only use a 3 SIM card in a 3 dongle, so therefore I cannot use the 3 network. Is this the case? I'm thinking I was possibly talking to an idiot, rather than this being the case??

If this is the case, do other companies do the same? So how the hell do I get 3G using the internal 3G modem??? Shouldn't be this hard, should it??

Someone must have got the internal 3G working, if so, how and who with? thanks a lot.

Rexeh, Aug 31, 2009
  2. Rexeh

melhiore

In your Acer you can use ANY 3G internet ready SIM card. There is no difference where this card is coming from. Reps in any CS does not understand the difference between build-in modem and USB one... I use o2 SIM bought with USB modem as I do not have 3G modem inside. This will give me reasonable speed, quality and access to internet for £2 a day, £7.50 a week or £15 a month plus unlimited Cloud and BT Open Zone hotspot usage... For me this offer is good. Sometimes I also use Vodafone card in the same modem as there is no simlock...

melhiore, Aug 31, 2009
  3. Rexeh

Rexeh

thanks for the reply mate.

So can I stick any SIM in and will work? for example, this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Ideally I'd like to buy one from the highstreet as I could do with the SIM tomorrow really. If I was to go into a vodafone store, would they sell me a SIM minus the dongle? They should do .... right?!!

Rexeh, Aug 31, 2009
  4. Rexeh

melhiore

Yes. You can... Instead of paying £5 you can always ring Vodafone CS and request 2 free of charge SIM cards. There is two per household/address to ask for... Probably ebay guy did the same - got them for free and is selling them making profit...

melhiore, Aug 31, 2009
  5. Rexeh

Jethro Tombs

Hi,

I've just tried my Virgin mobile payg SIM, after setting up the access point in the 'Global Connect' box I got straight into firefox/gmail for 30p a day unlimited (fair usage policy upto 25mb/day)

Regards JT

Jethro Tombs, Aug 31, 2009
  6. Rexeh

Rexeh

Great, thanks guys.

I will try voodafone tomorrow, hopefully they will give me a simcard

cheers

Rexeh, Aug 31, 2009
Ask a Question