About EEEbuntu 8.10

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by legendus, Mar 3, 2009.

1. legendus

legendus

I have seen, in some places, that is a good chance to install on our aspire one. So I'm going to try it... but I have some question. I want to have a XP version, so what I want is install one of the OS in the SD card, and other in SSD. I have seen what I must do to install EEEbuntu in SD card, and well, it's a bit difficult, and I'ld lost 1gb in swaping...; so..., I thouhgt... I can install EEEbuntu in SSD and XP in SD, and only...I'ld have to modify grub.conf...; am I right?. If I am right, can anyone say to me how I must do it? Because I have seen, that I must change MBR and put grub.conf there; but I don't understand too much this step, and less, how I can do it xD...

Thank you all!

legendus, Mar 3, 2009
  2. legendus

RockDoctor

My advice is to keep it relatively simple - put XP on your SSD, and boot eeebuntu off your SD card placed in a USB card reader. The AA1 won't boot off an SD card in a slot, much to the dismay of many of us who were hoping for that capability. If you install Linux on the SD card, you'll need a boot partition on the SSD that includes a kernel/initrd configuration that builds in the drivers required to read the SD cards in the slots. In that case a grub entry something like the one below should work (make sure root points to the SSD partition that contains your kernel and mkinitrd and you identify the SD card properly):
    Code:
    title   eeebuntu on my SD card
    root    (hd0,1)
    kernel  /vmlinuz1 root=UUID=the_uuid_of_your_sd_card ro 
    initrd  /initrd1

Good luck!

RockDoctor, Mar 3, 2009
  3. legendus

legendus

Thank you for all. it's a good chance, but I don't know to do the step of put only the kernel to boot on the SSD to choose teh OS that I want to boot. So, what I did is get free space and install twice in the ssd; it's a bit small..but well, for now, it works. thank you!

legendus, Mar 8, 2009
Ask a Question