AAO not turning on, except if I remove and reinsert battery

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by InkblotJo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. InkblotJo

InkblotJo

I've had this strange, reoccurring problem with my fairly new AAO. Sometimes, but not nearly all the time (~20% of the time), when I put it on standby or shut it down, it refuses to come back on unless I unplug the power, remove the battery, and then reinsert everything. And then it starts up just fine. I already upgraded the BIOS, and the problem did not go away. Does anyone have any idea as to what might cause this? Thanks.

- Jo

InkblotJo, Nov 17, 2009
  2. InkblotJo

Swarvey Moderator

Just to see if it's an OS issue, have you tried holding down the power button for about 4-5 seconds until the unit powers-off?

Remembering in Vista (and I think Win7) the default option for the "shut down" button in the start menu is to put the system into hibernation / sleep mode and NOT actually power off the system. Given Micro$oft's history with shutdown /sleep /hibernate bugs, it sounds like it's ur OS and not your machine, try holding the power button as mentioned above (when the issue occurs) and see if it will power back up from that, if it does, i'd say it's ur OS.

NOTE: on both my AAO systems, when holding the power button to shut down manually, I heard the hard drive make a click noise when power-off was successful - I too had serious freezes for a while... but when one hacks a gadget, one gets problems

Swarvey, Dec 3, 2009
Ask a Question