AAO freezes, won't shut down

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ferryja, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ferryja

ferryja

Sometimes after I've been on the net a while, my AAO will freeze for no apparent reason-- I can't do anything in the browser, can't get to the desktop or anything else. Can't close the browser. The red Quit button at the lower right of the screen won't work, and neither will the power switch on the key board. The only way I can turn the thing off is to disconnect the power cord and take out the battery. Then when I reconnect the power and restart, it's fine. Is this a common problem? Is there a simple fix?

ferryja, Oct 3, 2008
  2. ferryja

chuckcalo

Ok if you're using XP (which gave me a nightmare) I suggest you install Vista.

chuckcalo, Oct 3, 2008
  3. ferryja

ferryja

neither--I've got LINUX (sounds like a disease....).

ferryja, Oct 3, 2008
  4. ferryja

chuckcalo

Lmao, well what version are you using ? (SSD or HDD)

chuckcalo, Oct 3, 2008
  5. ferryja

ferryja

SSD, with Linpus Linux Lite v. 1.0.6.E

ferryja, Oct 3, 2008
  6. ferryja

Tamrac

What mods have you done to your AAO? Check if your fan is working, could be hangups due to heat. Check that you're not blocking the vents.

Tamrac, Oct 4, 2008
  7. ferryja

ferryja

No mods at all--I'm too new to linux for that, yet!
    I'm quite sure heat is not a problem--the fan runs fine, the vents are unobstructed and it never feels more than slightly warm.
    Here's a little more detail--when it freezes, I can move the arrow and cursor, but when I click on a link or a bookmarked site, nothing happens, just the busy signal. When I click on the quit button, nothing happens at all. (At other times, the quit button works fine.)

ferryja, Oct 4, 2008
  8. ferryja

dwood

The AAO with Linux behaves just like my Windows machines when they "freeze". Press and hold the "Power Button" on the keyboard for approximately 5 seconds [or slightly longer]. This will always power down the computer. No need to pull the battery.

DON

dwood, Oct 5, 2008
  9. ferryja

ferryja

Thanks! I can handle that. Of course now that I know a fix it hasn't happened in a while....

ferryja, Oct 5, 2008
  10. ferryja

mikeonthemarne

I have the same problem and it can really spoil a videoprojector session in front of an audience - one of my reasons for my buying this netbook. Is there not another solution than a windoze-style reboot? As a Mac user, I find this performance disappointing. My AAO was on a table when it froze up, ventilation louvres unobstructed, and it did not seem hot, only fairly warm. I could move the pointer but it didn't do anything. It had been functioning for about 3 and 1/2 hours, plugged into the mains - not too much to ask, surely? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. My questions are:
    1/ is this a software fault - if so can it be cured, by me or should I wait for an update?
    2/ Is this a hardware fault? In that case, a return to the maker is obviously indicated.
    This problem is a real shame because otherwise the machine is very convenient and neat, much admired by others, not just as a good bargain buy but for its good design. It is a machine which will be used a lot in public, connected to videoprojectors for demonstrations and lectures - therefore this problem is bad news for ACER. I don't feel I can recommend it to colleagues until this is sorted out.

mikeonthemarne, Oct 8, 2008
  11. ferryja

ferryja

This continues to happen, and it's getting annoying. Any idea if it's hardware or software?

ferryja, Oct 11, 2008
  12. ferryja

jlapton

I have the same experiences tooooo.
    and I found this always happens when connected to the net, whatever wired or to wireless AP.
    I'm gonna check my bios version and update it to the LEGENDARY "3305" and see whether the problem remains... :cry:

jlapton, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question