AAO freezes in windows

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rolla1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. rolla1

rolla1

I have had my AAO for a month now. I find that when it boots up everything is fine but when i decide to browse a web page or go to run word the machine freezes up. any idea. I have try to shut down as many non-essential process as possible but the problem still is still there.

rolla1, Feb 28, 2010
  2. rolla1

AOD150BLACK

Sounds software related. What antivirus are you running, as well as what web browser are you using? Also, have you removed the bloatware that came preinstalled?

AOD150BLACK, Mar 1, 2010
  3. rolla1

rolla1

i am running mcAfee virus software. I am not sure what bloatware is and where i would find it to remove it.

rolla1, Mar 1, 2010
  4. rolla1

AOD150BLACK

Bloatware is all the software that comes preinstalled with a new computer. This includes McAfee antivirus, all the Acer Empowering software, and anything else other than Windows itself that comes preinstalled. Removing these programs generally makes any computer run faster.

McAfee antivirus is a particularly system heavy program, and it can interfere with most other programs, especially those you've mentioned. Remove it by using McAfee's removal tool (search Google for "remove McAfee"), then install an antivirus with a smaller footprint such as AVG free.

AOD150BLACK, Mar 1, 2010
  5. rolla1

rolla1

I will do everything you told me to do and see how i fair out. Thanks for all your help!

rolla1, Mar 2, 2010
  6. rolla1

rolla1

i removed all the bloatware including the virus software that came with it. It runs alot faster like you said it would but what i find is i will be using it for 15 mins or so and out of no where it will freeze up.

rolla1, Mar 2, 2010
  7. rolla1

AOD150BLACK

At this point, I'm not sure if it's software or hardware related.

Check the Event Viewer by clicking Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

Once open, check for errors (red circles with a white x), and if necessary, lookup the error code on google. If you can find an error that occurs at the time you have your issue, this should help you narrow down what is happening.

AOD150BLACK, Mar 2, 2010
Ask a Question