AAO 150 with Vista - very slow Internet speeds

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rob2006, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rob2006

rob2006

Installed windows vista on my AAO yesterday and after downloading a few drivers to correct some issues it is evident that something is not quite right.

4meg and less files from acers own site took 5-7mins to download.

I have now installed all the necessary drivers and rebooted the AAO.

I have gone onto a web site www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk which i use if i think there is a problem with my broadband speed. My results are as follows

111 kbps download
    105 kbps upload

Not good at all then!!!.

I checked the same site on my wifes laptop, Sony Viao and its getting 6859 kbps down and 500 kbps up.

So the problem has to sit within the Acer.

What can cause this?

I have checked everything else and tested the line with my work laptop and equipment as i am an Engineer for Openreach (BT). All is good there as i fully expected.

rob2006, Nov 13, 2008
  2. rob2006

FehHkk

What is your BIOS version?

I got my AAO 150 a couple days ago, and it's running Vista 32-bit Ultimate perfectly. I did flash BIOS 3305 before I did anything, however.

FehHkk, Nov 13, 2008
  3. rob2006

rob2006

It's version 3114 i did see some updated updated versions on the acer site. Should i update this then?

Thanks

rob2006, Nov 13, 2008
  4. rob2006

dbegun

Before you do anything, go into the Device Manager and click on "Network Adapters". Right click on the Atheros Wireless network adapter and call up the properties. Then click the "Advanced" tab and scroll down to the "Power Save Mode". If the "value" is set to anything other than "off", change it to "off" and then re-do the speed test. It seems that for some reason, the unit ships with extreme power saver to throttle download speeds. As soon as I switched it to "off" I was enjoying "normal" speeds.
    Try this before you do anything else.

(Is it worth upgrading to Vista?)

dbegun, Nov 13, 2008
  5. rob2006

rob2006

Hi,

In the properties under the advanced tab i don't have a power save mode.. i do have a separate tab called "power management" and there is a tick in the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Are you saying leave the tick in that box?

With regards to upgrading to vista.... i had to do something as linux was driving me crazy!

rob2006, Nov 13, 2008
  6. rob2006

FehHkk

I'm using the Atheros driver 7.6.0.172, which is not the latest, but hasn't given me issues so far.

FehHkk, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question