AA1 Linux Wont Boot up - not Bios problem !

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by dax126, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dax126

dax126

Hi all - Hoping someone can help..

Had my AA1 with SSD for around 18 months - never any problems before. No mods, as it was, out of the box except Skype installed and printer.

My son was playing Linux std games on it at the weekend. He left it...and sometime later the screen was blank.

On reboot, the lights seem normal, fan starts and Boot select screen appears...then it hangs when trying to load OS. (little cursor goes halfway down screen then disappears. I've waited for hours, but nothing happens.

Checking BIOS with F2, the SSD is listed so I guess it is OK

Have tried the macles BIOS flash upgrade, and managed to upgrade BIOS to 3110 - connfirmed in BIOS version number on screen.

But OS still won't load.

Have made a bootable USB stick with Freedos - and can get it and see A: and C:, and the USB stick appears to be B:

C: appears to be an image of my USB stick

Sorry, but I know nothing about LINUX and how to reload the original OS...I got nothing with the AA1 so now I don't know what to do next...or why it happened.

Can anyone advise ? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible

dax126, Dec 16, 2009
  2. dax126

AcmeUK

This may not be the solution to your problem, but is worth a try.

1, Turn your AA1 OFF.
    2, Turn it upside down.
    3, Give it a smart smack by the fan vents ( On the right when viewed upside down).
    4, Turn it back on.

This is not as daft as it sounds, I fixed mine this way.

It seems that the fan can get 'unseated/out of true' , the fan monitor then detects a higher current than usual and shuts the system down. This all happens in just a few seconds.

Giving it a 'pat on the boko' re-seats the fan and eliminates the problem.

Good Luck :mrgreen:

AcmeUK, May 4, 2010
  3. dax126

GreenChiliRelleno

Thank-you

My AAO acted up today & I thought it was the BIOS...did the flash & had the same problem.
    Also tried booting from USB--the computer still crashed :(

I tried this & it WORKS!

Muchas Gracias

GreenChiliRelleno, Jul 30, 2010
Ask a Question