A1 + XP + Firefox 3 = weird, Ctrl-F4 not working?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lossfizzle, Aug 31, 2008.

1. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Hey everyone - we just brought home the 1gb / 120gb / XP Home A1 yesterday. I'm really enjoying it but something has me baffled: Ctrl-F4, the "close tab" shortcut, doesn't seem to work at all in FF3. I am a tab addict, a keyboard-shortcut junkie, and use Ctrl-F4 in FF about once every 60 seconds on average, so between the broken shortcut and the definitely less-than-optimal touchpad on the A1, this problem is rather painful at present.

I know there's a longstanding known issue with Flash sites sometimes grabbing keyboard focus in FF and "temporarily" disabling Ctrl-F4 among other things. This isn't that issue. It just doesn't work at all, ever, with ANY web page, and I'm at a loss right now as to why. All other Ctrl-based shortcuts are working fine in FF and Alt-F4 works fine, so this isn't simple mechanical failure.

I've not yet tested Ctrl-F4 in other apps yet, but I am guessing Acer has gone and somehow reserved the key combo for one of their TSRs. Anyone experienced this yet?

lossfizzle, Aug 31, 2008
  2. lossfizzle

Kite

ctrl-f4 on ff3 works on my A1..

prior to reading this post, I gotta admit i didnt know about the ctrl-f4 :lol:
    I have always used ctrl-w to close a tab. But I didnt get the problem you have. ctrl-f4 closed the tabs on mine

Thanks, I learn something new today

Edit: I should add that my model is the 8g ssd one. I reformatted it with xp sp3

Kite, Sep 1, 2008
  3. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Hrm... thanks, Kite. Still not working on mine, so I'm baffled and hoping I don't need to reformat to get rid of whatever's intercepting the combo.

Glad I taught you a new shortcut though :)

lossfizzle, Sep 1, 2008
  4. lossfizzle

DiSK

Yeah, something maybe strange with the keyboards or something...

I've got the bilingual one, don't know if that affects it but, in Linpus, CTRL + F4 doesn't work for me either. I've learned to use CTRL + W. Select all with CTRL + A doesn't work in FF3 for me, either. But in File Manager it does, and everything else. I have my keyboard layout thing set to English US. So I have no clue.

On my external HDD install of XP, FF3 is working fine with CTRL + F4. Try reinstalling?

DiSK, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question