A Ubuntu that work 100%, without any issues, for beginners?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pierre, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Pierre

Pierre

Just wondering if there are any Ubuntu distros that work 100% with the A1. I have the SSD version. I tried Ubuntu once and I liked the interface but a few things didn't work and I simply don't have the Linux knowledge to correct most things. I did a few lookups on this forums and keep on reading stuff like 'LED isn't working but that's an easy fix'. I just go idea how that's an easy fix :lol:

Right now I took down the 4 section desktop that boots up on the A1 and setup XFCE with the shortcuts etc... that I use most, setup the right click to bring the XFCE menu so I can access all other softwares, got the Home + D button to bring the desktop, and a few other random bits I can't remember. That was a while ago though.

I'm not sure I really need Ubuntu... but to be honest I just kinda miss messing around with the thing :D

So anyway... looking for an Ubuntu or similar version that runs all well, with the integrated SD card going to the SSD (not being seperated), wireless LED working, wi-fi, webcam, etc... anything I may be interested in?

Thanks!

Pierre, Jul 5, 2009
  2. Pierre

garrovick

I have Ubuntu on my desktop. I started out with the basic instalation. Then when I wanted to do more, or "fix" things, I went to the main Ubuntu website forums and read them to find out answers for more advanced uses. There are literaly thousands of posters there that can help with almost any probelms you might have.

Now that I have and external optical drive, I'll be adding Ubunu this week and have a dual boot system, just like my desktop.

garrovick, Jul 5, 2009
  3. Pierre

morningching

Super OS 9.04 works very well. I tried Ubuntu 9.04 ( also,Ubuntu remix 9.04). Always trouble with wireless. Super OS works very well (video playback is slow but much better than ubuntu 9.04). No wireless problem. Download from this website: www.hacktolive.org

morningching, Jul 6, 2009
  4. Pierre

nesti

nesti, Jul 6, 2009
  5. Pierre

Pierre

I AM French, so that won't be much of an issue haha :D thanks!

Pierre, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Pierre

finnbakk

I recommend #CrunchBang Linux standard edition for AAO. I have used it for some months, easy install, runs fast, no problems, works out of the box.

finnbakk, Jul 16, 2009
  7. Pierre

nesti

any feedback? :roll:

nesti, Aug 7, 2009
  8. Pierre

ankit.subs

I have installed Ubuntu NBR on Acer Aspire One. Everything works out of the box except the card reader and wifi LED. Wifi LED was sorted by the loading linux-backports-modules-jaunty..however the Wifi switch still does not work.

So with Ubuntu NBR I have pretty much everything working except for the card readers and the Wifi switch....

Wifi works and I am able to connect to net, HUAWEI E220 for mobile broadband also works...

As I have a USB card reader am not too worried about card readers provided though would want them to start working...but will not loose my sleep over it...:)

ankit.subs, Aug 8, 2009
  9. Pierre

DutchDK

A) The backports wifi module is deprecated - No more development on the MadWifi driver. If you update to kernel 2.6.30 or higher, then the ath5k module (the in-kernel driver) will support the WiFi LED out of the box.

B) USB card reader works out of the box on UNR 9.04 IF you boot with a SD card in the card reader.
    To make sure that it works without having to boot with a SD card in the card reader, you need to append pciehp.pciehp_force=1 to your kernel boot parameters.
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst<enter> and add the parameter to the default options, save, then do a sudo update-grub<enter> will do the trick.

DutchDK, Aug 8, 2009
  10. Pierre

RockDoctor

sudo update-grub<enter>?? Shouldn't be necessary - this is grub, not lilo :D Or am I missing something?

RockDoctor, Aug 9, 2009
  11. Pierre

libssd

I've been running Ubuntu 9.04 desktop version for about 2 months, with kernel 2.6.30, on an AA1 D150. I have made no config changes at the command line. The only "issues" are:

1. Suspend doesn't invoke automatically when closing the lid. Suspending manually (Fn-F4 or by pressing the power button) takes several seconds to go to sleep -- you must wait until the power switch light starts blinking red before closing the lid; if not, the machine will be left in an indeterminate state that requires a reboot.

2. Linux video performance (e.g., uTube) is not as good as Windows. Sound comes through realtime, but video frames are choppy.

Overall, performance for FireFox and OpenOffice 3.1 is very similar for Ubuntu/Windows XP. Ubuntu boot and shutdown times are slightly faster than XP. I run Ubuntu when I can; Windows when I must. I can access my Windows documents folder from the Ubuntu partition.

libssd, Aug 9, 2009
  12. Pierre

T5Dave

Disable the GPU Validation in Flash to improve video performance, albeit at the sake of system stability.

To do this, make the directory /etc/adobe then make a file in that directory called mms.cfg

Edit that file, so that it has the line OverrideGPUValidation=true then save and exit.

If you view Youtube now, you'll find the video is a lot smoother. Don't be surprised however if you get a Kernel Panic (flashing caps lock light). Out of 3 videos I watched, I got 1 Kernel Panic... the risk is up to you :)

T5Dave, Sep 20, 2009
  13. Pierre

Jaycb

I've tried Kuki and after a full install everything works well.
    I played around with it for over a week, tweaking simple user interface things, getting it looking how I wanted etc... and even installed some extra programs. Note that I didn't need to tweak anything to get it working out of the box, I just fancied some tinkering.

But... much as I loved it and hugely appreciate the effort that's gone into it, I've reluctantly gone back to Linpus. The reason? Speed, pure and simple. I'm not talking about boot-up speed, which is very good, but just general system speed - opening windows, clicking buttons, watching videos, loading web pages etc... Everything runs just a bit slower. I installed the LXDE desktop but this didn't seem to do much for speed, and I also tried some Firefox tweaks with no success (it's only fair to say that the default browser - Midori - was still faster than Firefox 3, which I added myself).

Don't get me wrong though, it's a great distro and maybe I'll look into it a bit closer later on to try to find out how to speed things up.
    For certain, it meets the requirements of the original poster's question.

Jaycb, Sep 22, 2009
  14. Pierre

libssd

Either Ubuntu updates have introduced improvements, or changing the CPU threshold parameter had an impact, because as far as I can see, video performance -- irrespective of browser -- is now on a par with XP.
    See: "Speed up flash and firefox in Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)!" http://allredb.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/speed-up-flash-and-firefox-in-ubuntu-jaunty-904/

libssd, Oct 20, 2009
  15. Pierre

schizo

Has anyone been able to connect via the internal Qualcomm 9212 GOBI chipset 3G modem in Ubuntu?
    I've tried kuki, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small, & have only been able to connect via the 3G modem in WinXP.

schizo, Nov 3, 2009
Ask a Question