A number of Aspire One problems, I really can't solve!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mischiefbec, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mischiefbec

mischiefbec

Right I've had this lovely little machine for just over a week now and there are quite a few problems big and small that I just can't seem to solve or find the answers to one here. They are:

I can't do the live update... it always crashes out before it completes, usually at the installing stage.
    I can't create a shortcut or menu button for Limewire as I can't launch through terminal so I don't know what command line to use.
    Quite a few programs won't install properly, they either can't solve the dependencies or fail at the installing stage (namely amarok or banshee)
    My terminal window now says something about bash... not sure what I've done but I'm sure it didn't say that earlier!

I'm still using the operating system the AAO came with, not sure if there will be a better option for me but any advice at all will be much much appreciated.

Love Rebecca xxx

mischiefbec, Nov 10, 2008
  2. mischiefbec

mischiefbec

My Limewire problem is now solved... just the rest to do now... he he!

mischiefbec, Nov 10, 2008
  3. mischiefbec

donec

Rebecca, you don't say which distro you are running so I can't help with fixing the problems you are having. However on of the things I dislike about a lot of Linux distros is that when you do an update something that was working gets broken. I am now running Mandriva 2009 Gnome and have had several updates and nothing has been broken. I have had to reset some of my preferences but that is all. I have not personally tried Mepis on my AAO but one of the things I love about it is it also historically does not break with upgrades.

Don

donec, Nov 10, 2008
  4. mischiefbec

torpor

Just to give you some comparison, I also have had my AAO for a little over a week (well its almost 3 weeks now) and I've finally gotten it working the way I want it.. upgraded the RAM to 1.5gigs, upgraded the SSD from 8 to 32gigs, and did a full install of Ubuntu Ibex (8.10), then spent the last day tweaking and hacking away until its smooth and working .. I would not be so happy if I'd stayed with the original Linpus distribution - it is broken, as far as I am concerned. Any linux distribution that includes an update manager that then destroys your system configuration when you use it is broken, imho, so my first bit of advice would be to encourage you to replace the Linpus distro with something else .. do Mandrake if you're not a Linux-savvy person, or go for Ubuntu 8.10 if you want the 'best' desktop experience Linux currently has to offer, in terms of application availability. I haven't found any serious problems with 8.10 myself so far .. everything works, from the WLAN to the card readers ..

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

torpor, Nov 11, 2008
  5. mischiefbec

donec

Didn't Mandriva used to be called Mandrake?

donec, Nov 11, 2008
  6. mischiefbec

mischiefbec

Thanks guys!!! As you say (and may have read from another post of mine!) the live update did break my linpus! I am in the process of downloading ubuntu and I'm going to give it a try! I've only found linpus to be flustrating and unresponsive! Any further hints as to what you think is essential for me to be running smoothly would be much appreciated!

xxx

mischiefbec, Nov 11, 2008
  7. mischiefbec

Duncan_Rowland

Interested to know how you get on with this... Last time I looked (a good while ago) many things weren't working, but now it looks like most (if not all, or at least all the ones I care about) are fixed - so I might be moving over myself. I run ubuntu on other laptops I have and am very happy with it.
    BTW, are you installing Ubuntu 8.10? (Latest version)
    This is a link to the install info for that: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 11, 2008
  8. mischiefbec

mischiefbec

Hi Duncan,

Just trying to sort out a usb stick to install the disk image on and then I'll give it a go (just getting the husband to format my memory stick). I downloaded the program unetbootin as advised so hopefully this will go smoothly... cross everything!

xxx

mischiefbec, Nov 11, 2008
  9. mischiefbec

frosterrj

Which one? Model/Specs?

Better read/write specs than what's already installed?

frosterrj, Nov 11, 2008
  10. mischiefbec

torpor

See the details about the SSD I installed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5175

Short summary: 32 gigs is nice, but this particular model doesn't perform any better or worse than the factory SSD. Basically, its slow, but its bigger.

Still looking for the 'ultimate' solution .. I suppose I should have bought the 160gig HD model AAO when I had the chance, d'oh!

torpor, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question